• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Michael Gove to reform school inspections, make it easier to sack poor teachers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Gove to reform school inspections, make it easier to sack poor teachers

Michael Gove: heads must intervene earlier to root out bad teachers when 'alarm bells are ringing' - Telegraph

From Septembr head teachers will be allowed to sack the worst-performing staff in just a term – rather than a year – as part of sweeping reforms being announced today.
    Speaking on BBC Radio 4 today, Mr Gove said: "If the alarm bells are ringing and the red lights are flashing it used to take a year but we are now concertinaing it.
    "I think head teachers should intervene earlier. I don't think anyone wants to terminate someone's employment unless it's necessary."
    When asked if a teacher whose class does not improve will be "in the firing line", he replied: "Yes."
    Mr Gove added: "It's their responsibility to ensure that children behave and that children succeed."
    Earlier he told the Telegraph: "You wouldn’t tolerate an underperforming surgeon in an operating theatre, or a underperforming midwife at your child’s birth.
    "Why is it that we tolerate underperforming teachers in the classroom? Teachers themselves know if there’s a colleague who can’t keep control or keep the interest of their class, it affects the whole school.
    "Children themselves know they are being cheated. Ultimately we owe it to our children. They are in school for 190 days a year. Every moment they spend learning is precious. If a year goes by and they are not being stretched and excited, that blights their life. We have got to think of what’s in the children’s interests first."
    Mr Gove hit back at criticism by the unions that the new rules would create a 'bully's charter' for unethical heads who want to get rid of troublesome or challenging staff.
    "At every stage there's an opportunity for teachers to be represented and for a fair judgement to be made.
    "Nothing matters more than the quality of time children spend interacting with a good teacher."
    Controversial rules restricting the amount of time heads can observe teachers in the classroom will be axed to give schools more freedom to monitor staff.
    In a further move, the Government will announce that all teachers will be assessed against rigorous new teaching standards every year to ensure performance is being maintained and measures will be introduced to stop poor teachers being “recycled” from school to school.
    Ministers claim the reforms – being introduced from September this year – will create a “simpler and faster system to deal with teachers who are struggling”.
    It follows the publication of official figures showing that just 17 staff in England have been struck off for incompetence in a decade.
    But the proposals sparked outrage among teachers’ leaders who branded the changes “draconian”.
    The NASUWT union said members would “oppose these changes vigorously”, suggesting that activists may resort to industrial action to prevent them being introduced.
    Christine Blower, general secretary of the National Union of Teachers, said: “The changes to the appraisal and capability policies will rightly be seen by teachers as an attack on their professionalism and will anger and depress them in equal measure.
    “What the Government proposes is potentially a bully’s charter.”
    Under current legislation, all state schools in England are expected to draw up “capability procedures” outlining how they deal with staff performance. The rules are based on regulations introduced by Labour in 2006.
    But heads complain that current guidelines are far too bureaucratic.
    It can often take heads as long as 18 months to get rid of poor teachers after making multiple written warnings and going through official hearings.
    Head teachers are also banned from formally observing teachers in the classroom for more than three hours in one academic year.
    Today, the Department for Education will unveil new regulations designed to significantly reduce the amount of red tape surrounding teacher performance.
    This includes:
    • Allowing poorly-performing teachers to be removed in about a term;
    • Removing the three hour limit on teacher observation, giving heads complete freedom to assess staff throughout the year;
    • Scrapping more than 50 pages of “unnecessary” guidance currently regulating capability procedures.
    Ministers have already drawn up a revised list of “teacher standards” – guidelines setting out the basic skills new and existing staff must have to remain in the classroom. This includes a greater emphasis on subject knowledge and managing bad behaviour.
    From this September, schools will be required to assess teachers every year against these standards.
    The Government is also consulting on new proposals that will require schools to pass on information about teachers when they attempt to move to new schools. This will show whether staff have been marked down for poor performance in the past – dealing with the problem of “recycling” poor teachers.
    Speaking last year, Mr Gove said: “Heads and teachers also want a simpler and faster system to deal with teachers who are struggling. For far too long schools have been trapped in complex red tape.”
    Apparently this will mean schools will not get their normal "3 days notice" that OFSTED are coming, but could be inspected at any time without warning.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

I don't think inability to sack "poor" teachers is the reason for edukational decline in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I don't think inability to sack "poor" teachers is the reason for edukational decline in the UK.
      Its part of it. The main issue is one of "everyone must win" and grade inflation. There are subjects were what was a B grade pupil 10 years ago is now A* standard.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        The main issue is one of "everyone must win" and grade inflation.
        You think it's "poor" teachers who are responsible for it?

If curriculum called for compulsory exams in maths, physics, chemistry, foreign language and karate then there would be far more knowledgeable kids and also no bullying.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
          Apparently this will mean schools will not get their normal "3 days notice" that OFSTED are coming, but could be inspected at any time without warning.
          My wife's a teacher and they changed it to be this way a few years ago.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have to say, watching the local news, that when they interview anyone under 25, I can't help wondering what is wrong with most of them. Rambling, slow, inarticulate. I think we are heading back into the primal soup.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              My wife's a teacher and they changed it to be this way a few years ago.
              I know a few teachers and they say they still get a few days notice (i.e. a phone call on the Thursday that Ofsted are coming in on the following Monday). The inspections are all much shorter than before though (instead of a week they last 2-3 days).

This proposal is different - there is literally no warning, meaning teachers have no time to prepare special lessons, i.e. the inspectors actually see a true reflection of what the school is like on a day to day basis.
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Its part of it. The main issue is one of "everyone must win" and grade inflation. There are subjects were what was a B grade pupil 10 years ago is now A* standard.
                That, plus a massive decline in average parenting standards.

Comment

Working...
                X