• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

equivalent of my salary in london

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

equivalent of my salary in london

hi

im based in perth/ scotland and earn 41k p/a in a permanent role, I am applying for jobs in london and would like to know what should be my minimum salary if I transfer to london. , can I say that earning 51K in london is equivalent of earning 41K in perth/scotland? should i expect more than 51k?

will I be able to achieve same living standards if I earn 51k in london?

you can read below lines but dont have to

currently I pay £450 pcm for 3bedroom flat up here ( reasonable area, nice flat, fully furnished 3double bedroom etc...£720 incl all bills and free parking) I am happy with 1/2double bedroom in london as long as its located in a safe,quiet area and not more than 30 minutes away from place of work.

I assume £1200 ( £1500 inc bills) is sufficient for renting 1-2bedroom flat in a reasonably nice area of london(zone 2-4),

if above is corect then im going to need another 10k to cover accomudation cost. here is how its done ...

1500( new rent)-720(current rent) =£780(rent diffrences) * 12(1year) = £9360 (I will need this much extra to cover increase of rent each year)

what other expenses are there that I need to be aware of and take into consideration?

i dnt want to give myself a pay cut!

thanks

Nowhere near, you're probably one of the richest men in Perth why do you want to be one of the poorest in London?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Nowhere near, you're probably one of the richest men in Perth why do you want to be one of the poorest in London?
      So Dingoes don't eat his kids.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The real differences in cost of living are quite a lot more in London.

If you're from bonnie Scotland and are looking to be in "located in a safe,quiet area", why on earth would you want to be in zones 1-4? The closest to 'nice' for you would be Richmond, Wimbledon Park or Greenwich, and good luck finding a decent 2 bed place for £1200 there (they do come up - but are snatched straight away). Woodford/South Woodford up NE on the Central line might be alright for you though, thinking about it. It's er, down to earth there, and leafy in places.

(Apologies for any of you who live in 1-4 N/NW/S or E London, but leafy it ain't, in my experience)

You'll find a nice-ish 2 bed flat/maisonette for about £1200 in some nice areas along the river in SW London - but say goodbye to a half-hour commute unless you work in/near Waterloo. A City/Wharf commute in rush-hour can take 1.5hrs. Usually - the nicer the area, the more horrendous the commute. Where will you be based?

Bear in mind your council tax will be a lot higher. Your travel costs too - it's about £44 a week for a travelcard last time I bothered to look. Those lunches/incidental costs/the odd coffee here and there soon add up. No idea about parking as we have our own off-street parking. Also factor in the higher-rate tax if you're permie PAYE.

All of this is very well and good, but you haven't told us if it's just going to be you or family also, whether your partner will be working or staying at home, what field/sector you're in etc. The market + your negotiation skills will determine your rate.

Ball park? For what you're asking? 65k to be comfortable I reckon, but then if you don't shop at Waitrose all the time, maybe less.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          So Dingoes don't eat his kids.
          Fair dinkum.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Was helping a relative find a flat in West London last year, The cheapest one bed was £1500.00 but the rent is going up shortly to £1600.00 pm With bills and CT it is not far short of £2,000.00 pm
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
              hi

im based in perth/ scotland and earn 41k p/a in a permanent role, I am applying for jobs in london and would like to know what should be my minimum salary if I transfer to london. , can I say that earning 51K in london is equivalent of earning 41K in perth/scotland? should i expect more than 51k?

will I be able to achieve same living standards if I earn 51k in london?

you can read below lines but dont have to

currently I pay £450 pcm for 3bedroom flat up here ( reasonable area, nice flat, fully furnished 3double bedroom etc...£720 incl all bills and free parking) I am happy with 1/2double bedroom in london as long as its located in a safe,quiet area and not more than 30 minutes away from place of work.

I assume £1200 ( £1500 inc bills) is sufficient for renting 1-2bedroom flat in a reasonably nice area of london(zone 2-4),

if above is corect then im going to need another 10k to cover accomudation cost. here is how its done ...

1500( new rent)-720(current rent) =£780(rent diffrences) * 12(1year) = £9360 (I will need this much extra to cover increase of rent each year)

what other expenses are there that I need to be aware of and take into consideration?

i dnt want to give myself a pay cut!

thanks
              You need to take into account tax & NI. You probably need to earn an extra £15k or so to take an extra 10k home.

As for additional costs a monthly travelcard will cost you ~ £100 a month and food and beer cost more here as well. Council tax may well be higher, it's difficult to say.

You will be unlikely to get somewhere 30 minutes from work unless you either pay a lot or live in a crappy area. Zone 3 or 4 will be ~1hr to most places you are likely to end up working.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Council tax could be lower. Wandsworth, for example, is pretty much the lowest in the country. With a smaller flat you will probably be in a lower band as well.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                  Council tax could be lower. Wandsworth, for example, is pretty much the lowest in the country. With a smaller flat you will probably be in a lower band as well.
                  Yeah, you can rent somewhere pretty cheaply in wandsworth as well if you don't mind living in a tower block.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Yeah, you can rent somewhere pretty cheaply in wandsworth as well if you don't mind living in a tower block.
                    Nothing wrong with that. Plenty on here do.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X