• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment Agency commission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruitment Agency commission

Hi. Hope u can shed some light. I am an accountant currently working on a 4 month contract which i started in December. I was brought in for a specific purpose and doubt the contract has room for extension which is fine. The problem is that my recruitment agent is charging the company GBP 29.7 for every hour i work and I am paid GBP 18.3 inclusive of holiday pay which means ultimately what i get per week is GBP 16.33 while the rest is retained. The agency profit is 38%, i just feel this is too high. Is it a reasonable commission? please advice as i am really restless about it. All i need to know is if its too much or appears reasonable then perhaps i will calm down or if you guys think its a rip off then at least i know.

The agent is probably paying employer's National Insurance contributions of 13.8% on your £18.30, bringing their costs to 20.83 and their profit to 30%. For IT (like most of us here) for a 4 month placement that would beat the low end of rip-off territory. 20% would be more normal, though that wouldn't include the payrolling and extra admin that your agent is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by jenanda View Post
      Hi. Hope u can shed some light. I am an accountant currently working on a 4 month contract which i started in December. I was brought in for a specific purpose and doubt the contract has room for extension which is fine. The problem is that my recruitment agent is charging the company GBP 29.7 for every hour i work and I am paid GBP 18.3 inclusive of holiday pay which means ultimately what i get per week is GBP 16.33 while the rest is retained. The agency profit is 38%, i just feel this is too high. Is it a reasonable commission? please advice as i am really restless about it. All i need to know is if its too much or appears reasonable then perhaps i will calm down or if you guys think its a rip off then at least i know.
      You need to appoint an IT consultant a soon a possible to deal with IT auditing and all you IT needs. You should be able to find one on this forum for about £500 per month.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Did you have any idea of what you wanted to be paid? or were you pretty desperate for work and thus vulnerable to exploitation. (if the latter please call me ) If its the firs I would say stop moaning and renegotiate at extension time. If the latter then make sure you profit from the experience
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I hope your maths is better than your English and your business nous, especially as it seems you're only getting GBP 16.33 a week! The sentence highlighted does not make sense, if you are paid 18.3 per hour, how come you only take home 16.33 per week?
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Thank you @Thunderlizard

Dodgyagent - if you read properly instead of jumping at the opportunity to ask silly questions you may have noticed I mentioned the contract is for 4 months and I was brought in for a specific reason and It might not be renewed so I'm not sure which renewal time u are referring to. In any event I'm travelling when it finishes so won't be interested in renewing

As for u darmstadt - u must be a sad person neh! Fortunately I don't worry about people like you. English is not my first language so I am so not embarrassed about ur statement but rest assured my accounting and maths are excellent! The difference between 18.3 and 16.33 goes to my holiday pay and is retained to be paid out when the contract ends you Mr english teacher! Just read and use your common sense professor before u attack

Don't bother responding as I am going to cancel the account and de register. I just registered to get an answer for one question and had forgotten how sick people can be

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                That may be a tad too high...14
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Post your query in one of the professional forums. We are not allowed to take the piss in those.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

For a contract which has less than one hour's work a week, I'd be looking for a significantly higher rate than £18.30 a week.

Are you sure you're cut out for contracting?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X