• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cabinet minister Cheryl Gillan sells home near route of HS2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabinet minister Cheryl Gillan sells home near route of HS2

Cheryl Gillan, the Welsh secretary, sold the house in Amersham, Bucks, last November for £320,000 – just weeks before the Government gave the go-ahead to the £32 billion scheme.

The 17th century terraced house lies 500 yards from the proposed Birmingham to London train route.

Mrs Gillan had been one of the leading opponents to HS2 on the Tories’ benches and had previously threatened to resign if the project was given the green light.

However, after the government signalled its intention to press ahead with the scheme last Tuesday, Gillian emphasised the “good progress” that has been made in mitigating the effects of the new rail route in her constituency with longer tunnels. (AtW's comment: FFS, those extra tunnels cost like 500 mln extra, should have just paid her 320k!)

Details of the property transaction this weekend angered her constituents. George Allison, 71, the treasurer of the HS2 Amersham Action Group, said: “Mrs Gillan should not be selling her house and she should be fighting HS2.

“I would imagine, like many MPs, she is quite wealthy so she probably didn’t think much about the potential fall in property prices.

“But you might wonder whether she wants to be so accessible to her constituents now.”

This weekend banners and posters have appeared in her constituency that read: “Cheryl, you let us down. Go now.”

The sale of the property in Amersham’s attractive old town leaves Mrs Gillan without a house in her constituency. Her main home is located more than 30 miles away in Epsom, Surrey.

A spokesman for the Welsh Secretary confirmed that the house was sold in November last year for 20% below the asking price after being on the market for 18 months.

Source: Cabinet minister Cheryl Gillan sells home near route of HS2 - Telegraph

Not illegal, as there is no insider trading law for the housing market.

The Tesco COO, however...
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I don't see the problem with this. The HS2 effects have already reduced the price so she's not benefitting from insider information is she?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        The HS2 effects have already reduced the price so she's not benefitting from insider information is she?
        1. Her duty as MP is supposedly to oppose HS2
        2. She opposes HS2 and allegedly threatens to resign
        3. She sells house before final decision is taken on HS2
        4. Now (presumably) HS2 no longer concerns her personally
        5. She has not resigned after decision was finally taken on HS2 but it did include extra tunnelling to appease some of the HS2 protesters.

Anti-HS2 campaigners in her constituency do not appear to be pleased with her actions though.

I don't know what kind of person would buy a house in an area known to be likely affected by HS2 - when I was trying to buy my flat HS2 check was on the list even though obviously it won't be anywhere near my location, yet it's part of due diligence.

This calls for a few questions: did the buyer know she was a minister? did the buyer got told any priviledge information like that extra tunnelling will be used so price fall might not be as bad? why is she selling the house right before major decision being taken even though she is an MP there?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          This calls for a few questions: did the buyer know she was a minister? did the buyer got told any priviledge information like that extra tunnelling will be used so price fall might not be as bad? why is she selling the house right before major decision being taken even though she is an MP there?
          You forgot to add the other important question... who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
            You forgot to add the other important question... who cares?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

1. Her duty as MP is supposedly to oppose HS2
              2. She opposes HS2 and allegedly threatens to resign
              3. She sells house before final decision is taken on HS2
              4. Now (presumably) HS2 no longer concerns her personally
              5. She has not resigned after decision was finally taken on HS2 but it did include extra tunnelling to appease some of the HS2 protesters.

Anti-HS2 campaigners in her constituency do not appear to be pleased with her actions though.

I don't know what kind of person would buy a house in an area known to be likely affected by HS2 - when I was trying to buy my flat HS2 check was on the list even though obviously it won't be anywhere near my location, yet it's part of due diligence.

You haven't got to live there to oppose it, let alone live there forever!

Anyway, I live not too far from there and HS2 wouldn't stop me moving to Amersham, Gt Missenden or Wendover. They've already got one railway running through them. I object to HS2 because it is a waste of money. It will probably cost £150 billion and it is not that necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                It will probably cost £150 billion and it is not that necessary.
                If Sir Merv keeps printing money at current rate then yes, it would cost that much

Comment

If Sir Merv keeps printing money at current rate then yes, it would cost that much
                  For a single or return?

Comment

Would "cabinet minster buys house two weeks before decision to improve its transport links" have been less scandalous?

Comment

Working...
                    X