• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

flat lease - rolling monthly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flat lease - rolling monthly

i signed 6month lease longtime ago,
    since then it has been renewed 3times...
    im looking for a new job and asked agency to put me on rolling monthly but they insist that it has to be 6month again ...

electrician told me to ignore what they say and i have right to leave with 1 month after living here for 1+ year ... is thats correct?

Originally posted by calacik View Post
    im looking for a new job and asked agency to put me on rolling monthly but they insist that it has to be 6month again ...

electrician told me to ignore what they say and i have right to leave with 1 month after living here for 1+ year ... is thats correct?
    Of course its right, I always ask random tradesmen when i need advise of a legal nature

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
      Of course its right, I always ask random tradesmen when i need advise of a legal nature
      To be fair, random tradesmen might know more about it than the shower of loons in CUK General.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You mentioned that you have signed a lease, this will no doubt be an assured shorthold tenancy and you will not be able to move out ahead of the termination date of this lease without risking penalties. If you allow the assured shorthold tenancy to lapse once it has expired you will automatically roll onto a periodic tenancy which will mean that you will be able to give one months notice to quit and your landlord can give you two motnhs notice to quit. Note the notice is effective from the next rental payment date, so if you pay your rent on the 1st of the month and you give your notice on the 2nd you will effectively have to give 2 months notice.

Comment

Tell them to stick it and see what they say then.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I assume it's an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The terms it has been extended on will be in the agreement that you signed when it was extended. If you din't sign a new one then the original is unchanged (save for it becomes a Statutory Periodic Asssured Shorthold Tenancy).

If you want a rolling 1 month contract that is between you and the landlord and you need to agree this (given you are currently "locked in" to what remains of the 6 month extendable period they would be pretty odd to do it now). However some ASTs I have seen would have a 2 month notice period.

You can try and negotiate harder come its expiry, but IMV the landlord would be very reluctant to change anything save for agreeing a notice period.

Comment

Originally posted by bingobob View Post
              If you allow the assured shorthold tenancy to lapse once it has expired you will automatically roll onto a periodic tenancy which will mean that you will be able to give one months notice to quit and your landlord can give you two motnhs notice to quit.
              Only if the AST was written that way in the first place surely I thought the automatic conversion into a period tenancy was on the same periods as the original AST (min 6 months obviously though landlord can give 2 months if they can show any one of the many grounds)

Comment

Did your solicitor do the rewiring?
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  Only if the AST was written that way in the first place surely I thought the automatic conversion into a period tenancy was on the same periods as the original AST (min 6 months obviously though landlord can give 2 months if they can show any one of the many grounds)
                  If the agreement mentions continuation as a periodic tenancy after the fixed term you have a contractual periodic tenancy. Otherwise you end up with a statutory periodic tenancy. Either way the landlord is required to serve you a minimum 2 months notice.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    If the agreement mentions continuation as a periodic tenancy after the fixed term you have a contractual periodic tenancy. Otherwise you end up with a statutory periodic tenancy. Either way the landlord is required to serve you a minimum 2 months notice.
                    Agree. But the question is surely the notice the tenant may provide? My belief (possibly erroneous) was that this had to end on a period based on the original tenancy period unless there was anything to the contrary.

Comment

Working...
                    X