• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A little bit of history

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little bit of history

Forgotten PC history: The true origins of the personal computer

So, to summarise, all this stuff is based on a 1968 design for a data terminal.

It explains a lot.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Saw one of these at the weekend in a museum, bought back 'fond' memories:

Card punch.

I seem to recall one of those.

Used these:

Weird plug-in cards with a 0.1" pitch connector on the solder side, and a 0.156" pitch connector on the component side.

Had to cobble together some sawn up connectors to make an extender card when the printer part went tits up.

Turned out to be a defective diode.

The ink rollers would sometimes explode and make a terrific mess.

Caution: ear defenders required during operation!

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

What's that, 80 bytes of storage?
    Depends on the format.

There are 12 bits per line, so you could get 12 x 72 bits per card.

General Automation PGS cards used to get 108 bytes per card, though a couple of those were used for the checksum.

73 to 80 were used for the id field so you could reassemble the deck if the rubber band failed.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 12 May 2017, 09:13.

Saw one of these at the weekend in a museum, bought back 'fond' memories:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I have to ask, WTF is that other than a chopped up chunk of terminal coming out of any space movie 'ground control' set.

Chef (ticking the 30-35) box
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Looks quite similar to the IBM System 6 Word Processor I used in my first job back in the 70s
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Comment

In my first job out of uni I met a very good friend who ran a rail company as a sideline of his lifelong university IT support work who told me he used to feed those cards into a computer as his nightjob when he first started work, he couldn't be arsed sometimes (not knowing the hardword or importance of the things) and often came up with things like "well we were having a fire extinguisher fight and they got wet so i told the student it didnt compile" or "i was carrying several boxes of cards to the machine room, spotted a stunning young woman, fell over the carpet and dropped the f!!kign lot over the floor, scooped them up as best as I could and fed them into the machine the order i thought they'd fell but unluckily the program didn"t compile. the student was truly gutted, i di feel bad though..." and such stories....
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Is that one of the Dead Sea Scrolls???
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Its an IBM 026 card punch, used a very similar piece of equipment in my first job. When that wasn't working then it was manually with this, which was ******* hard to use:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I used to be able to do those with a hand punch. Using 2 fingers and a thumb you pressed one, two or even 3 keys simultaneously. It was remarkable how soon you got the hang of it.

Ah, thanks darmstadt:

though the one I used was a a bit more portable.
                  Last edited by Sysman; 17 January 2012, 10:57.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Depends on the format.

There are 12 bits per line, so you could get 12 x 72 bits per card.

General Automation PGS cards used to get 108 bytes per card, though a couple of those were used for the checksum.

73 to 80 were used for the id field so you could reassemble the deck if the rubber band failed.
                    You're thinking of programming*. The data cards we had used all 80 columns, though they usually had something like an invoice number and a sequence at the beginning so that you could sort them if needs be.

The card sorting machine was a wonderful device. Some poor lass spent 3 weeks sorting a year's cards and then the trolley full of the sorted cards lost a wheel and the lot hit the deck. Another 3 weeks sorting for said poor lass.

* I do remember wondering why that early version of FORTRAN ignored characters after column 72. It was a swine to debug the first time you experienced it after entering the proggie on an 80 column terminal.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X