• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is it really necessary to self print payslips?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it really necessary to self print payslips?

to show proof of salary? seems like a redundant exercise, as I am sole employee and director?

Originally posted by Jeystone View Post
    to show proof of salary? seems like a redundant exercise, as I am sole employee and director?
    I would keep it electronically for the records instead ... haven't had a printed payslip in years. My accountant creates one for me each month after they have processed my invoices and expenses so there really isn't any effort involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeystone View Post
      And what do you do with your dividend vouchers using that argument?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do you have an employment contract?

If not and you are the director then you are not covered by the employment rights act ('cos you ain't an employee). Thus the provisions in it regarding to payslips don't actually apply.

In any event the ERA gives all employee the right to a payslip containing certain information. It does not actually cause an employer to have an obligation to provide them.

So if you don't want them, don't do them.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          And what do you do with your dividend vouchers using that argument?
          [pedant]Nothing probably since his argument was about salary

Comment

Interesting question, which got me thinking: I pay my accountant to produce these on a 1/4ly basis.

Do I need these payslips/this service, or is the only requirement to show these in my 'books' (spreadsheet)?

I do employ the wife, and have payslips produced by same accountant with a minimal additional cost, but does she actually need them?

To pre-empt a question, yes I do produce my own div vouchers/meeting notes in the same respect.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
              Interesting question, which got me thinking: I pay my accountant to produce these on a 1/4ly basis.

Do I need these payslips/this service, or is the only requirement to show these in my 'books' (spreadsheet)?

I do employ the wife, and have payslips produced by same accountant with a minimal additional cost, but does she actually need them?

To pre-empt a question, yes I do produce my own div vouchers/meeting notes in the same respect.
              There are circumstance in which she might need them. As stated she has the right to have one, so how you will cope with that if she changes her mind is down to you to figure out.

Loan applications spring to mind as a potential use. Not having them might make that process trickier. Obviously you will have P60 etc at end of year though since those are not optional.

However, I cannot actually imagine any accountant offering you a cheaper service for not producing them. (Actually I can imagine them charging more since they would have to go to a special effort not to produce them or to throw them away).

I can understand people doing their own payroll not bothering since they can always produce them later if needed; it's simply a matter of transcribing data if the payroll is done manually (I never produced payslips that I can recall, the payroll was done and the transactions entered in the books).

If any sort of package is used I can't imagine it not producing a payslip. Though I suppose not printing a copy might save 25p a year.
              Last edited by ASB; 16 January 2012, 20:24.

Comment

thnx, good points, plus IIRC I'm sure if you are a Ltd Co you do need to have this provision (pay slips) [is it some requirement?]...but unsure why, or if this is truly the case? Maybe some acc'ts could advise on this?
                Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  thnx, good points, plus IIRC I'm sure if you are a Ltd Co you do need to have this provision (pay slips) [is it some requirement?]...but unsure why, or if this is truly the case? Maybe some acc'ts could advise on this?
                  Employment Rights Act (1996) paragraph 8.1 states:

(1) An employee has the right to be given by his employer, at or before the time at which any payment of wages or salary is made to him, a written itemised pay statement.
                  This says to me that the employee has a right to receive; it does not confer an obligation on the employer to produce. Obviously somebody who is covered by the ERA would need to make their wish not to receive one very clear.

A thread on accounting web: Requirement for payslips | AccountingWEB

fwiw in my last paye investigation HMIT asked for copies of payslips. I gave him the source documents (i.e. deductions working sheets). He was perfectly happy. I doubt this is a path any accountant would actually recommend you follow though.

Comment

am I legally entitled to print them for myself? I mean buy the special paper, and use my home inkjet..what does a payslip need to contain by law, the bare minimum
                    Last edited by John Crowe; 16 January 2012, 21:28. Reason: spell mistake

Comment

Working...
                    X