• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Mad Dash to the Pub vol. CVII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Mad Dash to the Pub vol. CVII

The steak and ale pie is calling to me. I wish they'd remember to kill the cow first
    • You Park Like a ***** - "a blog which will help its creator come to terms with, and learn to enjoy people who simply park like *****." Had to use a URL shortener to get the link past the filter

• Antarctic Diary - "What follows are page by page scans and an accompanying transcript of the diary of Stan Taylor’s voyage to Antarctica in support of Sir Douglas Mawson’s historic Australasian Antarctic Expedition... Stan wrote this diary while he was serving as a fireman (stoker and greaser) on the Steam Yacht Aurora’s 1912-13 voyage to collect Dr Douglas Mawson and the Australasian Antarctic Expedition after their first winter’s work in the ‘Land of the Blizzard’. This was the famous voyage which departed from Cape Denison on the morning of the same day Dr Mawson returned from the ill-fated Far Eastern sledging excursion and upon their return were unable to pick up Dr Mawson and the personnel who had remained at the base to search for Mawson, Mertz and Ninnis."

• 10 Stubborn Body Myths That Just Won’t Die, Debunked by Science - "Hair grows back thicker when you shave it! Reading in dim light turns you blind! Peeing on a jellyfish sting will soothe the pain! The way our bodies work is a bit of a mystery, and our desire to unlock its secrets has led to a vast amount of misinformation." Lots of nonsense dispelled

• Daily Routine of a 4 Hour Programmer - Jay Janarthanan has devised a daily schedule that allows him to be productive with just four hours of actual programming a day. Forward this one to your clients, and let me know how it works out for you

• He Strikes Like "Thunderball": Live Blog - ScanCase watches James Bond films, and liveblogs them: "1:31 even at ******* funerals bond can’t help but try and get laid... 2:48 this is totally just an observation but if you’re cross dressing and you have a low cut blouse on maybe you should shave you chest... 8:52 TECHNOLOGY OF THE FUTURE: HIDDEN DOORS!"

• British Institutions: London Underground - "The Tube is more confident now than at any time in memory. What is going on?" Interesting look at the current state of the Tube, for the FT by Matthew Engel. (One of a series on various British institutions; links to the rest at the foot of the article.)

• Brides In The Bath Homepage: The Case of George Joseph Smith - Lots of useful info about the trial of the notorious serial killer.

• Office at the Seclusion of a Leper - Lepers weren't very popular in mediaeval Europe; this document purports to be a translation of a mediaeval religious ceremony to mark the casting-out of such: "The priest then with the spade (palla) casts earth on each of his feet, saying : 'Be thou dead to the world, but alive again unto God.'" Cheerful stuff

• The strong man, the rebreather and the tunnel - "The first rebreather received the roughest baptism imaginable 119 years ago - deep in the workings of the Severn Tunnel. The inventor said he'd never go back down there, not even for £10,000. But there was one man who would, as cave diver Martyn Farr explains." Remarkable story from the early days of railways and diving.

• A Snowman’s Worst Nightmare: Calvin & Hobbes in Real Life - "For 10 winters from 1985 to 1995, snowmen met with murder and mayhem at the hands of 6-year-old Calvin in the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip written and illustrated by Bill Watterson. The hilariously horrific snowmen scenarios depicted by Calvin still continue to inspire fans who create snowman scenes straight out of a snowman’s worst nightmare."

Happy invoicing!

fantastic as always nick.. thank youuuuuu
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      The steak and ale pie is calling to me. I wish they'd remember to kill the cow first
      • Daily Routine of a 4 Hour Programmer - Jay Janarthanan has devised a daily schedule that allows him to be productive with just four hours of actual programming a day. Forward this one to your clients, and let me know how it works out for you

Happy invoicing!
      A whole 4 hours a day? I don't think I could up my game that much
      Insert Witty Signature Here

Comment

Originally posted by zharrt View Post
        A whole 4 hours a day? I don't think I could up my game that much
        Yeah, you can get a whole day's coding done in an hour when you get in the zone and avoid distractions.

Makes billing by the hour tricky though... do you bill by the "effective hours" or include the hours sitting, drinking coffee and reading CUK, waiting for things to click for that precious hour?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Now I want it to snow!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            Now I want it to snow!
            Make cakes instead
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here