• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ECHR shoots itself in the foot again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECHR shoots itself in the foot again

Guys, I support the ECHR and I think on the whole it's good thing and an important institution, so stop pissing it all into the wind.

Abu Qatada cannot be deported to Jordan, European judges rule - Telegraph
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Not sure they are wrong on this one.
    If he will be put on trial and evidence acquired using torture will be presented then it is right not to send him back.
    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Guys, I support the ECHR and I think on the whole it's good thing and an important institution, so stop pissing it all into the wind.

Abu Qatada cannot be deported to Jordan, European judges rule - Telegraph
      Which bit of "More fundamentally, no legal system based upon the rule of law can countenance the admission of evidence – however reliable – which has been obtained by such a barbaric practice as torture. The trial process is a cornerstone of the rule of law. Torture evidence damages irreparably that process; it substitutes force for the rule of law and taints the reputation of any court that admits it. Torture evidence is excluded to protect the integrity of the trial process and, ultimately, the rule of law itself" do you disagreee with precisely?

http://cmiskp.echr.coe.int/tkp197/vi...2%20|%20qatada

Comment

Sorry to sound Daily Mail about this - but the migrants the UK needs are economic migrants.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Which bit of "More fundamentally, no legal system based upon the rule of law can countenance the admission of evidence – however reliable – which has been obtained by such a barbaric practice as torture. The trial process is a cornerstone of the rule of law. Torture evidence damages irreparably that process; it substitutes force for the rule of law and taints the reputation of any court that admits it. Torture evidence is excluded to protect the integrity of the trial process and, ultimately, the rule of law itself" do you disagreee with precisely?

You sure that all the evidence was gathered by torture? I'm not; they can use the evidence obtained legally. Otherwise, try him in Britain, which during the 'reign' of Mr B Liar obviously had much lower standards than the rest of Europe.

Comment

ah, the old 'justice vs the law' debate

i would prefer to live in a just society, than a lawful one. if only it were within the wit of man

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
              Not sure they are wrong on this one.
              If he will be put on trial and evidence acquired using torture will be presented then it is right not to send him back.
              Which bit of "The bastard entered this country illegally and is deemed a threat to our national security" don't you understand?

Just asking, like...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Which bit of "The bastard entered this country illegally and is deemed a threat to our national security" don't you understand?

Just asking, like...
                I am perfectly happy to keep him under lock and key, just not to send him back to possibly an unfair trial, or is that too difficult a concept for you to grasp?

I would also suggest that as it is an ECHR decision to keep him safe then the cost of doing so should also fall upon them, maybe they can have him to look after.
                Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                  I am perfectly happy to keep him under lock and key, just not to send him back to possibly an unfair trial, or is that too difficult a concept for you to grasp?

I would also suggest that as it is an ECHR decision to keep him safe then the cost of doing so should also fall upon them, maybe they can have him to look after.
                  you can have him then. we'll lock him in your shed eh ?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Fair enough, I misjudged it; you're right, the fundamental principles should be upheld. Which is why Mr Tony B Liar should be put on trial.

Comment

Working...
                    X