• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boarding school - good idea or bad idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boarding school - good idea or bad idea?

The British boarding school remains a bastion of cruelty | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian
    Yes
    31.82%
    No
    43.18%
    I went to boarding school with Andyw
    25.00%

Keeps the little tulips out of sight and ear shot. Wheres the downside?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      The cost?

Comment

Whilst I'm defo left of the average CUK poster I've seen the advantages of private education in terms of the confidence and oppertunities it breeds.

But then I look at the political front brenches and then think maybe the cons outweigh the pros...
        Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
          Whilst I'm defo left of the average CUK poster I've seen the advantages of private education in terms of the confidence and oppertunities it breeds.

But then I look at the political front brenches and then think maybe the cons outweigh the pros...
          Private education does not necessarily require boarding.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Private education does not necessarily require boarding.
            no, but beasting, fagging, soggy biscuit competitions and spit roasting the juniors do

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Private education does not normally mean boarding.
              ftfy
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Besides the usual biscuit joke (which unfortunately contains some truth and is truly terrifying if you are threatened with it), if you really want to know and you're considering sending your kids to boarding school, PM me. There are people here who believe they know better while having no experience of the matter, and I can't be bothered debating it with them.

Personally I'd say many kids go when they're too young and don't get enough time off to be with their families. The right age is difficult to say, but for me I'd say no less than 14 (which is admittedly a bit arbitrary) and maximum 2 weeks between home visits.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I know a number of contractors (and their kids) who are all for boarding school.
                  It is difficult for all parties to start with.
                  Most of the people who are supportive have reasons to send their kids to boarding school not the least of which being the transient nature of their jobs.
                  Sending the kids to boarding school gives the kids a stable environment. They get to know the school, its teachers and a set of friends. All of which remain fairly stable throughout their education.
                  The parents make sure that school holidays are well spent as a family group. This means the parents do not have to worry during term time and can get on with whatever it is they do and can have some real quality time during school holidays.

One of the chaps says he now sees his daughter more than he did when she travelled with him and all of the family are better for it.
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

... The right age is difficult to say, but for me I'd say no less than 14 (which is admittedly a bit arbitrary) and maximum 2 weeks between home visits.
                    14? 2 weeks between visits?

I started boarding school when I was 7, in fact a week before my 7th birthday, and it never did me any harm.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X