• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Powercuts - UPS on gas boiler??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powercuts - UPS on gas boiler??

Had a powercut this morning right when i was supposed to be getting up and supposed to be in the shower - very annoyed.

Got me thinking - could i install a UPS for my Combi boiler?? that way even with no power i can still have a hot shower

That's a good idea, and could be Plan B material.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      LOL, yeah, i had the tropical fishtank heater running from my Halfords jumpstart box (it has a 300w 12/240v inverter built in)

Comment

Originally posted by Joeman View Post
        Had a powercut this morning right when i was supposed to be getting up and supposed to be in the shower - very annoyed.

Got me thinking - could i install a UPS for my Combi boiler?? that way even with no power i can still have a hot shower
        how often do you get power cuts?
        I think it's been 10 years since I last suffered a domestic power cut
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          When the windmills take over you should expect many more power cuts.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It depends where you are. When I was out in the sticks the leccy came through overhead wires. When it was really sloshing it down some of the telegraph posts emitted loud sparking sounds.

Folks I know in the US get their power lines taken down every other winter by falling trees. For them, a generator is the answer.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Both good points. It is crazy that your GAS heating relies on you having electricity, when you think of it.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Both good points. It is crazy that your GAS heating relies on you having electricity, when you think of it.
                not really that crazy cause when you think about it you realise that there are a few control systems on the boiler which need electricity run.
                The gas also needs either electonic ignition or a pilot light constantly burning. Modern systems use electronic ignition
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  yep, stupid. if the boiler had been plugged in, instead of a fused spur, i would have powerd it up with my jumpstart box that i used for my fishtank.

Also. my boiler is in the loft, so a bugger to get to in the dark at 7am on a cold morning...

Comment

No recent powercuts in our are

Comment

Working...
                    X