• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ship prangings in the 12th year of the century

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ship prangings in the 12th year of the century

1912 - Titanic hits an iceberg
    2012 - Concordia runs aground
    2112 - Mars Express crashes into cargo ship on wrong orbit (possibly?)

Why do these ships always seem to be wrecked in the year XX12 ?

And seriously, how could this liner Concordia possibly have foundered with all its electronic gizmos? The whole thing defies belief. One can only assume the captain was literally trying to cut corners to make up for some lost time.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    1912 - Titanic hits an iceberg
    2012 - Concordia runs aground
    2112 - Mars Express crashes into cargo ship on wrong orbit (possibly?)

Why do these ships always seem to be wrecked in the year XX12 ?

And seriously, how could this liner Concordia possibly have foundered with all its electronic gizmos? The whole thing defies belief. One can only assume the captain was literally trying to cut corners to make up for some lost time.
    Allegedly Cap'n Wormseye was trying to sail as close as possible to the island, in a little game with other better sighted Cap'ns, and then hoot the horn and flash the lights as he got close.

At least, that's what the 'authorities' are saying.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

What about the unforgettable Newry Liverpool wreck of 1812 Newry to Liverpool Shipwreck 5th March 1812
      ?

Comment

last year the missus said to me 'We have spent three holidays in the oz desert, one up in Alaska running away from bears, cant we take it easy and go on a cruise this year'

last week she said 'looks like the great Victorian desert this year then'

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          What about the unforgettable Newry Liverpool wreck of 1812 Newry to Liverpool Shipwreck 5th March 1812
          ?
          Good find - Damn, I missed that one.

Oh and Sir Cloudesley Shovell _almost_ ran his fleet aground in 1712. But the fool was 5 years early.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            ?
            Indeed, Patricia, unforgettable

And the VOC Zuytdorp, wrecked off Australia in 1712.

We could start a conspiracy theory here.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Good find - Damn, I missed that one.

Oh and Sir Cloudesley Shovell _almost_ ran his fleet aground in 1712. But the fool was 5 years early.
              if we make a bet for 2112, and nothing sinks. do we get a rollover ?

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                last year the missus said to me 'We have spent three holidays in the oz desert, one up in Alaska running away from bears, cant we take it easy and go on a cruise this year'

last week she said 'looks like the great Victorian desert this year then'

Do Saga do the Great Victorian Desert, then?

Comment

I'm surprised no-one mentioned the HMS Dragon, 1712.

HMS Dragon (1647) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    I'm surprised no-one mentioned the HMS Dragon, 1712.

HMS Dragon (1647) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Or indeed the Portuguese barks wrecked at the Battle of Suvali in 1612.

Battle of Swally - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of them was deliberate though; set alight by the Portuguese navy to try and sink a British ship.

Comment

Working...
                    X