• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linq 2 Sql / ADO.Net

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linq 2 Sql / ADO.Net

Hi,

This is not really a technical question but more of a "whats out there"...

Do you guys see lots of companies preferring to use Linq 2 SQL over standard ADO.Net these days?

If companies do prefer L2S, do they still use stored procedures? Personally, 99% of the stuff I do currently is ADO.Net talking to stored procs.

I'm trying to guage if its worth me bothering getting my Linq skills toned up or not.

cheers.
    George.
    Last edited by GeorgeB; 17 January 2012, 17:13.

My last couple of contracts have involved Linq in someway, however I've mostly been using Linq with Entity Framework rather than Linq 2 Sql.

If you go down the Linq route, Ive found LinqPad to be really helpful, so you can easily view the sql your linq statement generates.

Comment

I would think its all linqs to entity frameworks nowadays I'm sure linq to Sql has been given the heave-ho.

Personally everything in my world is now nosql with custom translation routines to datatables as required.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks guys. This will help me plan my self training to get up to date with all the cool toys

Comment

Getting clued up on database optimisation may be a nice niche for when all those companies using Linq2Whatever, Entity Framework, etc find the performance isn't good enough, as they don't have sufficient control over indexes, execution plans, or optimised queries.

Currently a mixture of new data access methods alongside more traditional stored procs and database views are often seen as the best way of building an efficient solution.

There are also some things you can't easily do with Linq that is piss easy with older methods, so that may be another area worth investigating.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Yeah, I'm fairly confident with the "old" method of ado.net, sql class sprocs etc.

I think being a permy in the same company for a while now has left me in need of the new skills which every company seems to be asking for... namely MVC and Linq.

However, MVC and Linq do seem really cool - I just need to get a bit of experience under my belt for these clients companies. I'm missing out on so many opportunities without these on my CV

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
            X