• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thames Estuary airport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thames Estuary airport

David Cameron paves the way for new London airport - Telegraph

David Cameron is to announce a formal consultation on plans for a new airport in the Thames Estuary within weeks

Is this a good idea? Personally I think it is excellent as there is going to need to be a new Thames barrier anyway.

Build it somewhere along the new London to Birmingham railway line.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      They could route the line via Ipswich and stop the Chilterns getting so upset.

Comment

UK is too London centric.
        Why not build a new (or extend an existing) airport elsewhere. As suggested on the new HS2 link. Require (or agree some deal) airlines using it to include train fairs for ongoing destinations in ticketing.
        Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Or just in Birmingham. London already has 4 (or more?) international airports, for crying out loud?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
            UK is too London centric.
            Why not build a new (or extend an existing) airport elsewhere. As suggested on the new HS2 link. Require (or agree some deal) airlines using it to include train fairs for ongoing destinations in ticketing.
            Economically everything is London centric. HS links elsewhere haven't really solved the economic differences elsewhere but have merely extended the economic strength of the bigger city.

Boris island is however a great idea. It changes the focus of London from the West to the East and would help the dump that is Medway.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Because the people travelling to and from London and the southeast, who are the bulk of travellers, won't use it. There is already plenty of spare capacity at provincial airports.

I think it's a good idea as it should reduce the number of flights over London and hence the noise.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Because the people travelling to and from London and the southeast, who are the bulk of travellers, won't use it. There is already plenty of spare capacity at provincial airports.

I think it's a good idea as it should reduce the number of flights over London and hence the noise.
                Then I would hope London is paying for it.
                With HS2 it would be just as quick into London as from the proposed estuary airport so why not build it where it benefits other parts of the country.
                Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Then I would hope London is paying for it.
                  With HS2 it would be just as quick into London as from the proposed estuary airport so why not build it where it benefits other parts of the country.
                  No it wouldn't. The high speed link for Boris Island is already over half built (note the trains to St Pancras from Chatham and Canterbury).
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Does this mean we won't have to suffer those intolerable Essex roughs at proper airports any more? Jolly good idea then.

Comment

Working...
                    X