• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Magdalen Oxford gets rejection letter from student

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magdalen Oxford gets rejection letter from student

BBC News - Magdalen Oxford gets rejection letter from student

"Being a successful student should depend on the student, not on whether or not a couple of academics have deemed you to shine in a twenty minute interview."
    I'm not even sure where to begin with this one.. apart from "Why the **** was she allowed out of the kitchen for so long?"
    Coffee's for closers

Utterly unoriginal.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

A student thinking they know more about the system and wanting to make a fuss fighting it.. Nothing new there then
      Now we just see if the London outfit has tagged her as a trouble maker and refuses her a place. Justice will be served.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I quite like her style.

Comment

So she had a bad interview and put in the rejection before they could reject her. Smart cookie.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            A student thinking they know more about the system and wanting to make a fuss fighting it.. Nothing new there then
            Now we just see if the London outfit has tagged her as a trouble maker and refuses her a place. Justice will be served.
            Yeah, teenager who thinks she knows everything / wants to rebel against the established order shocker.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Yeah, teenager who thinks she knows everything / wants to rebel against the established order shocker.
              Kids don't know how to rebel these days. Back in the 80s we used to do extreme stuff. There was not a traffic cone left in the city by the time we had finished.

Comment

I particularly like this bit...

it allows public school applicants to flourish... and intimidates state school applicants, distorting the academic potential of both".
                She also criticised Magdalen College's "traditions and rituals", and the gap between "minorities and white middle class students".

However, the university said in a statement: "Of the seven UK students who received offers for law and joint school courses at Magdalen, only one was from an independent school."
                Looks like she has publically had her ass handed to her on a plate IMO.

You would have thought being disadvantaged with her lowly state school roots the chance to be upwardly mobile (or whatever they call it) so she can hob nob in the upper circles of law would have been worth more than the degree itself. Ah well.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 18 January 2012, 13:46.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've been to a few interviews that made me feel like writing back and saying no thanks.

It's what turned me from a permie to a contractor.

I did 8 interviews on the trot for permie roles, and they were all of a type, you know, the Incompetency Based Scoring interview - he who scores lowest gets in. I kept topping the scores, obviously

Comment

An expensive joke, probably cost her several hundred grand maybe an awful lot more when you consider her chances of getting into a top law firm. Still at that age she probably isn't too a*sed about it. She will be though...especially when she finds herself in some second rate company doing conveyancing or something equally boring.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X