• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The difference between success and failure
    BBC - Ollie Williams: No tomorrow for rhythmic gymnasts
    Coffee's for closers

Good, maybe they'll live longer - gymnastics is nice show but horrific injuries (paralised kids) are the price paid in Russia, Romania, China and other countries that push hard without regard to child's safety. Even those of them who win feel real bad when they are 35+ - stressing body like this incurs a very heavy long term price, and if they don't win on one Olympics they'll be too old for next one.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      The difference between success and failure
      BBC - Ollie Williams: No tomorrow for rhythmic gymnasts
      Were they competing against other squads to represent GB, or competing to show a minimum standard for GB to have a squad?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Were they competing against other squads to represent GB, or competing to show a minimum standard for GB to have a squad?
        the latter
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

(Buzz) What is Pacharan's IQ?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

How do those African countries get swimmers competing who have never swum the distance they compete in, etc?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Good, maybe they'll live longer - gymnastics is nice show but horrific injuries (paralised kids) are the price paid in Russia, Romania, China and other countries that push hard without regard to child's safety. Even those of them who win feel real bad when they are 35+ - stressing body like this incurs a very heavy long term price, and if they don't win on one Olympics they'll be too old for next one.
              Like Olga Korbut, she became an instructor but was renowned for being a really pushy bitch.

She has her own website now...

Olympic Gymnast Olga Korbut - Official Website
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                How do those African countries get swimmers competing who have never swum the distance they compete in, etc?
                AFAIK countries can select and put forward who ever they like
                It was the British Olymic Assosiation which decided that these girls weren't good enough to compete for Britain which means there will be no British entry for that event
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

"Instead, the gymnasts are victims of the BOA's promise that every British athlete stepping into an Olympic arena this summer will be delivering both a competitive performance and a lasting legacy for their sport.

Sadly for the rhythmic gymnasts, they are left with neither. This remains a sport with no money, few prospects and plenty to cry about. That Britain's Olympic ideals have been upheld will be of scant consolation now."

I thought the British Olympic ideals were to make as much money as possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Like Olga Korbut, she became an instructor but was renowned for being a really pushy bitch.
                    For each successful Korbut there were dozens if not hundreds of very badly injuried young girls who were pushed too far in the interest of Soviet state. Think about 14-15 year old girl being paralised for life - that's gymnastics.

Comment

Working...
                    X