• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working too fast?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working too fast?

Can you work too fast or hard on a contract?

Is it shooting yourself in the foot?

Answers please
    Coffee's for closers

faster?

not on my current contract, the faster the better...

even if it does mean sacrificing quality. he just dont give too ****s.

Comment

well on the contract that I am in at the moment it seems the slower you go the happier the pm is.. but then she is a contractor too.. saves searching jobserve I guess..

Comment

Don't know what projects some people work on but 80% of my contracts are balls to the wall big scale systems with not much time for reading CUK.

Comment

I tend to finish exactly on time.

If you have to work hard then you've screwed up either with the negotiation or managing the work. I rarely work "hard" as I don't want to set a standard (my productivity is nearly 200% of the permie scum as I've not been demoralised into the pitiful slog whilst on a contract).
          Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Sometimes I work so fast that I become invisible and my colleagues can't see me. A bit like those blokes in Star Trek. Zeitghost will have the details.

Comment

Is it better to get the job done quickly and have nothing to do? Or pace yourself and keep everyone sweet?

I blame New Labour and Blue Labour and The Liberals in case you wondered
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
                Can you work too fast or hard on a contract?
                Yes

Is it shooting yourself in the foot?
                Absolutely, you p1ss off the PM as his timescales are shown to be wrong, which is a career limiting thing to happen for them, and generally it is the PM who signs the timesheets

Answers please
                No problemo.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

My current contract (3 monther) has so little real work that I'd done it all within the first week.

The secret is to release it to the client in small batches over the duration of the contract. This leaves plenty of time for other activities and allows the PM to think he had it all perfectly planned.

Comment

Confucius the contractor he say :
                    "If you're given ten days to do a task, take nine days to do it and you're a hero, take eleven days to do it and you're a bozo."
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X