• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employees encouraged to take a greater stake in companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employees encouraged to take a greater stake in companies

BBC News - David Cameron announces plan for Co-operatives Bill

Should be able to allocate a greater shareholding to the wife and get more out of the company outside the higher tax bracket no?

We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

So essentially he wants the means of production to be owned by the workers.

That's communism that is.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      So essentially he wants the means of production to be owned by the workers.

That's communism that is.
      That is what the allied forces did to Germany after WWII. They enforced workers powers in the decision making of companies thinking it would suppress the German economy. History shows it had the opposite affect.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The PM also said he wanted to encourage firms to show "social responsibility" and the chancellor was considering new tax rules to prevent abuse.

You cannot legislate for good morality. It might help if MPs showed a bit of social responsibility....

Comment

The Daily Mash - Clegg wants unbearably middle class economy with tulip adverts

Clegg wants unbearably middle class economy with tulip adverts

NICK Clegg wants the British economy to be filled with middle class kitchen utensils and adverts made by bastards.

Insisting that everything should be like John Lewis, the self-styled 'deputy prime minister' claimed that Britain must be never knowingly undersold and weirdly enthusiastic about refunds.

In a speech to some people in his living room, Mr Clegg said: "John Lewis is brilliant isn't it? We go there all the time. It's all really good quality, especially the bed linen and the frying pans. We got this brilliant Le Creuset frying pan for seventy quid.

"I went online to see if I could find the same frying pan for less money and I couldn't. And the thing is, right, if I decide - for whatever reason - that I don't like the frying pan then John Lewis will take it back, just like that."

He added: "It's really brilliant and I reckon it's because the people that work there all have shares in it so that makes them better at deciding what to sell and how much to sell it for.

"Also, it makes their website better."

Julian Cook, chief economist at Donnelly-McPartlin, said: "There's nothing wrong with making the British economy more middle class. God knows, I think we've all had quite enough of Iceland adverts and people in tracksuits smoking cigarettes.

"But if everything is John Lewis then every advert will be a tawdry, degrading, orgy of emotion accompanied by a slightly reworked Joan Armatrading song and will tell me precisely **** all about why I should buy this frying pan."

Cook added: "Also, take a look around your office this morning and think to yourself 'do I really want to own shares in these people?'."
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

"Co-operatives are organisations which are owned by their members, and run for their benefit - such as John Lewis. "

This means for majority of companies it will make no difference and in any case one can guarantee that treasury would have upper hands in the rules, I'd say they'll exclude anybody with "major" shareholding of say 5% or more, tax relief will be limited to first £Xk per year and "high rate" taxpayers might not even get that.

Anyway, this is completely pointless move right now since in bad times shares ain't worth much, so what's good in them being awarded?

btw, they've crazy framework called EMI to prevent employees getting stock options easily - one has to jump many hoops and answer very stupid questions before getting cleared for it.
            Last edited by AtW; 19 January 2012, 22:15.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              "Co-operatives are organisations which are owned by their members, and run for their benefit"
              Like much of the public sector, particularly the second part of that statement

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                Like much of the public sector, particularly the second part of that statement
                And if you've ever worked in one (e.g. co-op), that's not where the similarity ends.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                X