• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Women, Children and Italians first

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women, Children and Italians first

This article was amended on 19 January 2012. The original said that Italy is once again the laughing stocking of foreign newspapers. This has been corrected.
    Costa Concordia shipwreck's hero and villain lay bare two souls of Italy | World news | The Guardian

Meh. Glad we got that cleared up.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

The Italians and Greeks have come a long way since the days of empire. A long way down that is.

Comment

Do you think perhaps rising sea levels might have been responsible?

Comment

You want to think about that for a moment? Nah

The cruise ship captain who steered his 114,000-tonne vessel into rocks off the Italian coast last Friday was drinking wine at dinner with a "beautiful" woman minutes earlier, a witness has claimed.
        Costa Concordia: captain drank alcohol with 'beautiful' woman prior to crash | World news | The Guardian

You see, captaining a floating seven-storey hotel is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman. With a nice Chianti.
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

I laughed today at his excuses. When the captain was questioned as to why he abandoned ship before others, he said he tripped and fell in to a lifeboat.

Come on man, come up with a slightly better excuse. Any bloke can tell you, the "I slipped and fell in" excuse isnt convincing.

Cruise ship

Comment

A bit odd, or cowardice taken to extreme, because for a young bloke who knows his way around his own ship and knowing that there was no way it was going to sink in those shallow waters, the danger to him must have been slight. And even when given the opportunity to get back aboard, still decided he'd rather throw away his career and serve time in prison and have the lives of people on his conscience for such a small risk.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              for a young bloke who knows his way around his own ship and knowing that there was no way it was going to sink in those shallow waters, the danger to him must have been slight.
              Imagine you walk in a long corridor to your cabin and the ship goes to one side 45 degrees - you'd be falling down elevator shaft, it's a bloody big ship!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Imagine you walk in a long corridor to your cabin and the ship goes to one side 45 degrees - you'd be falling down elevator shaft, it's a bloody big ship!
                He only had to stand on something horizontal on the ship, no requirement to be Tarzan.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Shame the scumbag didnt die falling down an elevator shaft.

There was no reason for the ship to be stranded. He put peoples lives at risk by sailing where he shouldnt have been. There isnt any excuse. It isnt the 1500's, nowadays, nearly all shipping channels have maps and ships have gps so one should never find themselves beached in perfectly good weather in an operable ship.

Comment

my dad spent the best years of his life trying to sink Italian ships. and German and Japs.

He said to me one day, 'Some of the bravest sailors I ever met were Italians(brits included) and most of the worst cowards were Italians'
                    seems they always go to one extreme or the other

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X