• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of "turbo-capitalism", welcome 'popular capitalism'!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of "turbo-capitalism", welcome 'popular capitalism'!!!

David Cameron has marched onto territory staked out by Ed Miliband by promising that there would be no return to the "turbo-capitalism" of recent decades.

In the third new year intervention by the main party leaders on what is being described as "responsible capitalism", the prime minister revived a signature theme of his time in opposition when he said he would preside over an era of "popular capitalism".

"I want these difficult economic times to achieve more than just paying down the deficit and encouraging growth," he said. He also announced a co-operatives bill to give public sector workers a greater chance to create mutuals to deliver public services.

"I want them to lead to a socially responsible and genuinely popular capitalism," he said.

Miliband publicly welcomed the prime minister's decision to address issues he marked out in his Labour conference speech last year when he promised to champion "producer" businesses and to crack down on "predator" businesses. But in private, the Labour leader dismissed the speech as a "doughnut" – attractive on the outside, but with nothing in the middle.

In a parallel speech to the Which! consumer rights organisation, Miliband said: "I frankly don't believe that this prime minister is serious about this agenda. Why? He attacked me last year when I talked about irresponsible capitalism, and I'm afraid it's never going to work if your basic view is that government should just get out of the way."

Source: David Cameron pledges era of 'popular capitalism' | Politics | The Guardian

FFS, cut taxes on employing people (such as employer NI), no ****ing business rates charged on employee parking (!), low CGT for long term investment, no tax on interest earned from savings.

Kto lubit' Vladimira Putina!!?

Comment

So no more recruitment agents then?
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
      X