• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jump starting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jump starting

Okay, I am not a petrolhead, so can anybody explain in lay man terms how I jump start my second car. I have the jump leads and opened up the bonnets and looked at the battery, it says to fix the red onto the positive of the battery. But where exactly ? There are several nuts and bolts where its marked as +. I read that if I fix something wrongly the car might blow up. So want to make sure I got it correct.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Okay, I am not a petrolhead, so can anybody explain in lay man terms how I jump start my second car. I have the jump leads and opened up the bonnets and looked at the battery, it says to fix the red onto the positive of the battery. But where exactly ? There are several nuts and bolts where its marked as +. I read that if I fix something wrongly the car might blow up. So want to make sure I got it correct.
    RTFM. Some cars can not be jump started.

If it’s OK, the positive to positive and negative to negative, keep the car running for a few minutes and while running try and start the other car. Don’t crank for too long as you could melt the cables
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Take a picture and post it here and we'll point it out.
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Something like this.
        Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Have you tried bleeding the radiator?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            RTFM. Some cars can not be jump started.

If it’s OK, the positive to positive and negative to negative, keep the car running for a few minutes and while running try and start the other car. Don’t crank for too long as you could melt the cables
            I heard somewhere you have to connect black before red? Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Red on dead first then to donor, dont let it touch any metal on either car on the way. Black on donor next then to chassis of dead car (not battery but everybody does).
              Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Connect Earth last
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Actually I will post a picture, that makes sense. Sorry for the SuitYouisque nature of the thread.

Brillo, Red before black I think is the way to do it, according to manual.

This car is before 2005 so can be jump started, its the post 2005 that cannot be jump started.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Ohh... that's new to me

Don't remove the jump leads while the engines are running as this can cause serious damage to the electronics on either car.
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X