• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Pet Hate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Pet Hate

Those phone calls from Asian call centres.

(phone rings)
    Me: "Hello?"
    Her: (after 10 seconds delay) "Hello...who am I speaking to, please"
    Me: "Who do you want to speak to?"
    Her: "I would like to speak to Mr [my surname, mispronounced, which isn't easy]
    Me: "Speaking"
    Her: I need to ask you some security questions, to make sure I am speaking to the right person"
    Me: (getting fed up) "Well, you rang me, so start talking or you're gone"
    Her: "What is your address and date of birth, please"
    Me: "Sorry, but I don't give out personal information like that unless I know who I'm speaking to. Who are you?"
    Her: "I cannot tell you that until you have answered the security questions"
    Me: "Oh well, never mind...ring back again when you can" (hang up)

Aaaagh!

I rarely get "Mr Surname" - it's normally "Mr FirstName" instead.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post

(phone rings)
      Her: (after 10 seconds delay) "Hello...who am I speaking to, please"
      Me: "Who do you want to speak to?"
      Her: "I would like to speak to Mr [my surname, mispronounced, which isn't easy]
      Me: "Speaking"
      Her: I need to ask you some security questions, to make sure I am speaking to the right person"
      Me: (getting fed up) "Well, you rang me, so start talking or you're gone"
      Her: "What is your address and date of birth, please"
      Me: "Sorry, but I don't give out personal information like that unless I know who I'm speaking to. Who are you?"
      Her: "I cannot tell you that until you have answered the security questions"
      Me: "Oh well, never mind...ring back again when you can" (hang up)

Aaaagh!

Got the same today from a withheld number.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Then they nag you for money.

You explain that you have been benched for 18 months, and there is no money.

They say that they might take you to County Court.

You say that they can take you to the European Supreme Court of Justice if they like, but you will still not have any money.

As if they are not already claiming it all back off their Corporation Tax, over and over again :-)

Comment

Comment

Not Indians, but I am suddenly being bombarded with personal injury calls about the accident involving my van a year ago. I am wondering if I can claim for whiplash even though I wasn't in it at the time. Wouldn't surprise me.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Not Indians, but I am suddenly being bombarded with personal injury calls about the accident involving my van a year ago.I am wondering if I can claim for whiplash even though I wasn't in it at the time. Wouldn't surprise me.
              You can claim as can half the pakistani's down the local taxi firm!

Allegedly...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                ... I am wondering if I can claim for whiplash even though I wasn't in it at the time. Wouldn't surprise me.
                If you heard the van crash but were looking the other way, perhaps you could claim for whiplash suffered while turning round suddenly to see what had happened.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You can claim as can half the pakistani's down the local taxi firm!
                  Oddly enough, they keep mentioning your name!
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

(phone rings)
                    Her: (after 2 seconds delay hang up)

Ha ha ha!

The 10 seconds you're fannying about is while their automated spam calling system tries to put you through to an operator.

You're right about the rest, not giving out personal details to those that call you, they could be anyone.

If I genuinely think it's my bank or someone I do want to deal with offering me something I say put it in writing (they'll already have my address ). They never do so sod them.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X