• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greece on verge of breakthrough in deal to cancel 70% of debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greece on verge of breakthrough in deal to cancel 70% of debt

Greece is on the verge of a breakthrough in talks with its creditors that could wipe out up to 70% of its debts and alleviate the crisis in the eurozone.

An outline deal, hurriedly endorsed by Brussels, came after a frantic three days of negotiations that at one time appeared to be heading for deadlock.

It appeared that Greece had secured a deal to pay an interest rate of 3.1%, rising to 4.75%, on new 30-year bonds created from its outstanding €360bn (£300bn) debt burden. The effect would be for creditors to accept writedowns of up to 70% on many of their loans.

Sources close to the Greek government said it was still possible that major lenders could walk away if there was a failure to get agreement on some of the fine detail, but Athens was confident that further talks over the weekend would bring a comprehensive deal.

Before the news, trading on world stock markets was subdued, indicating the importance attached to a Greek deal as investors waited for the outcome before committing funds. The FTSE 100 finished the day down 12 points at 5728.55, closing before speculation surfaced that a Greek deal was imminent. The French CAC and the German Dax were also down 7 and 11 points respectively. The Dow Jones followed a more positive path into the afternoon in New York, rising more than 60 points towards 12700.

Greece has become the focus of tension in the eurozone for the third time in as many years after first announcing it was in trouble in the spring of 2010. It was bailed out along with Ireland and Portugal, then in May last year it became clear that the €110bn Athens had received would be insufficient to finance its growing debts and that a second bailout was necessary.

Source: Greece on verge of breakthrough in deal to cancel 70% of debt | Business | The Guardian

There you have it - the crisis is over and all EU members can return back to creating goods and services that are in demand all over the world.

Assuming they have actually addressed the overspending. Saw a former Greek finance minister interviewed last year. After the first bail out he reckoned they just went on spending and concealing it. The true deficit kept rising.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

So much for the default!
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Assuming they have actually addressed the overspending.
        It's a lot easier to address overspending when your debts go down 3 times and remaining debt is 30 years old at 3%+.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Sources close to the Greek government said it was still possible that major lenders could walk away if there was a failure to get agreement on some of the fine detail, but Athens was confident that further talks over the weekend would bring a comprehensive deal.
          Lets hope Athens is right. I will believe it when I see it.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          There you have it - the crisis is over and all EU members can return back to creating goods and services that are in demand all over the world.
          What will be the effect of the 70% haircuts? What about other PIIGS? Most importantly, what about the 30% difference in productivity between North and South.

Comment

Who owns most of the Greek debt and is getting a short back n sides? My quick search revealed conflicting answers, ranging from Greek banks to the French.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              So much for the default!
              So if you lent someone money and they only paid you back 30%, you'd be happy and not consider that a default?
              Your cretinism is truly of biblical proportions.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                So if you lent someone money and they only paid you back 30%, you'd be happy and not consider that a default?
                Your cretinism is truly of biblical proportions.
                Are you after my seed or something?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Are you after my seed or something?
                  I'm trying to find the seed of some intelligence in your thick noggin.
                  A futile search I'm afraid
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Surely Portugal will demand the same now. Why should they have to pay 100% if the Greeks only pay 30%?
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X