• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorcycle Rider Policy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle Rider Policy

Thinking about buying a 1979 C90 step-thru.

Enquired about insurance and was shocked to learn that no insurer does rider policies anymore.

Basically, you would purchase a 3 PF&T policy that would cover you for any bike in a certain CC range e.g.125 - 350 cc.

Not any more. You are insured on the nominated boik only.

Inevitably it's more expensive .

Anyone on here ever own an RD250LC? Bloke up the road has one for sale. It motors and I'm sorely tempted.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

Anyone on here ever own an RD250LC? Bloke up the road has one for sale. It motors and I'm sorely tempted.
    Buy it, clean it, wrap it up, and save it - its an antique now, and worth a few quid in good nick

Then get yourself a Gillera Runner 180sp.. (The two stroke model) great fun as it looks like the 125cc, but will leave many other vehicles standing at the lights.. i had one for a while when i was living in central london. rode it every day from west london to the west end. great fun keeping up with the crazy motorcycle couriers!

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Thinking about buying a 1979 C90 step-thru.

Enquired about insurance and was shocked to learn that no insurer does rider policies anymore.

Basically, you would purchase a 3 PF&T policy that would cover you for any bike in a certain CC range e.g.125 - 350 cc.

Not any more. You are insured on the nominated boik only.

Inevitably it's more expensive .

Don’t worry, I think Pizza Hut cover you with their insurance anyway.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If you remember rider policies then that makes you a born again biker.
        The RD is too much bike for you as is anything above the C90. It is also a collectors item (even if you have to restore it).
        Go and do a refresher course then buy something like a 600 Bandit/Fazer/Hornet until your skills are back. Modern bikes are very forgiving and handle incredibly well, but their performance can get you into trouble before you know it.
        Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

I had a RD125LC. Two stroke though; satan's engine configuration. The four stroke bikes I had were much better.

I seem to remember only ever being insured for a particular bike.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I seem to remember only ever being insured for a particular bike.
            When I were a lad you could get a rider policy as described above. Best known was Norwich Union, they even did a driver policy.
            Bikers often have more than one bike or change their ride regularly. NU recognised this and had that policy that meant you could ride any bike you own on that policy, after all it is not possible to ride more than one.
            They stopped about 15 years ago I think.
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
            X