• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving from perm to contracting advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from perm to contracting advice

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice about the market, skill set mainly ASP.NET/C#/SQL Server.

Looking to go from a perm role (4 week notice) to contracting. I have gotten the impression (started to speak to recruiters) that I will need to hand my notice in and then start looking for a contract during my notice period. Is there an ideal time/month for this now we are in the new year? I have a ski holiday and was looking at doing my notice once back so early feb making me available for work early march. Also which job boards are recommended for contract roles?

Many thanks in advance for any advice...

Originally posted by kitkatrobins View Post
    I will need to hand my notice in and then start looking for a contract during my notice period. .
    NO NO NO NO NO

Go and ask your Granny what a bird in the hand is worth.

Comment

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice about the market, skill set mainly ASP.NET/C#/SQL Server.

Looking to go from a perm role (4 week notice) to contracting. I have gotten the impression (started to speak to recruiters) that I will need to hand my notice in and then start looking for a contract during my notice period. Is there an ideal time/month for this now we are in the new year? I have a ski holiday and was looking at doing my notice once back so early feb making me available for work early march. Also which job boards are recommended for contract roles?

You need to read now - stickies abound!

Do you know what a sticky is??

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        You need to read now - stickies abound!

Do you know what a sticky is??
        Go to CUK Navigation (over there on the right ->)

Click on the links starting with "First Timers"and start reading.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hi all,

Your skills are typical of those outsourced to India. There are also out of work Bobs who will do the work in the UK for less than the minimum wage. If you are earning more than the minimum wage you are better off in permanent work.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
            NO NO NO NO NO

Go and ask your Granny what a bird in the hand is worth.
            I do have savings and been planning this for sometime. No clients will wait 4 weeks...

Comment

I do have savings and been planning this for sometime. No clients will wait 4 weeks...
              If your mind is made up, you have researched your market, and already have good contacts with the pimps, then the very best of luck to you.

Leave your existing employer 'nicely', you may need them (or who knows, they may need you as a Contractor :-)

Comment

No clients will wait 4 weeks...
                I think if you've got a particular skill they need then they will wait...but if your skills are those that can be easily replicated then it may be worth looking to get a bit more 'unique' before making the jump.

Why not try applying for a few roles first and see if you can get something in set up before you hand in your notice.

Alternatively, I was given the following advice which may or may not be useful for you :

"Be prepare to negotiate with your manager for an early release if needed.

Failing that, take as tulip on the HR directors desk, shag his PA and tell your manager he's an arsehole in front of the rest of the office. That should deal with any notice period issues. "

Comment

Hi all,

Handing in a notice and looking does not guarantee a contract. You might still sit on a bench for a couple of months or if you are in great demand and are in a location where the demand for your skills are very high ( just those 3 skills has low demand) you might jump into a contract the very next day. Point is, we dont know what your CV looks like and only you can make that decision.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

To the OP, how much holiday entitlement do you have?

Wait until you've got a couple of weeks saved up and then start looking that way you only have to work two weeks notice...

Simples.

On a more usual note (from myself anyway), welcome to the world of contracting, you seem wonderfully naive and therefore of no competition to myself. Jump on in, the water is lovely!

Comment

Working...
                    X