• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what are different roles in IT industry?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are different roles in IT industry?

are there any list or articles on this ?
    i need brief overview of diffrent roles/responsibilities in IT industry? I undrestand there can be 100s so any list to cover most common one will do.

Originally posted by calacik View Post
    are there any list or articles on this ?
    Try Google... Or perhaps LinkedIn.

i need brief overview of diffrent roles/responsibilities in IT industry?
    Why? Or to put it another way, i need a good reason to list and describe a lot of techncially complex roles in a very wide-ranging arena. I usually charge for my time, remember.

i undrestand there can be 100s so any list to cover most common one will do.
    But you probably wouldn't undrestand the answer.

OK, quick answer: there are three roles - Development, Delivery and Support. Plus us managers to make it all work but we're not really IT.

HTH. It probably doesn't.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

dont you have a polish/romanian/bulgarian/latvian/lithuanian list that you can get translated?

Comment

You mean you still don't know after a year?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...anagement.html
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          You mean you still don't know after a year?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...anagement.html
          have u ever come across a bus driver that thinks he is a secret FBI agent?
          u giving me impression that u are one of those!

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
            dont you have a polish/romanian/bulgarian/latvian/lithuanian list that you can get translated?
            no, but if i ever find such a long list i will translate it into all above languages and shove it up your ass.

Comment

Jobstats - IT Jobs Salary Rates and Market Information
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

last week I had a ham one. I really wanted a cheese and onion one, but i chickened out.

now chicken rolls, theyre good they are.
                if you are a female contractor, Calchick, I dont mind checking yer role out. (but you have to provide the rubber gloves)

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

found something fairly generic/but usefull myself..

There's a whole range of roles available.

If you imagine that whether you work for an IT solutions company or whether you work in the IT department for a non IT company (such as retail or financial services) you will be providing IT services to a customer (either a paying customer of your company or someone from within your company such as business development or marketing).

So if you think through how these services are provided, the roles become apparent. You need:

Someone to establish how much funding is available and whether the work requested is feasible (Business Systems)

Someone to establish what the customer wants and document it (Business Analyst)

Someone to design the thing that the customer wants based on the business analysts work and ensure it is in line with your other products (Architect or Technical Analyst)

Someone to create the product (Developer)

Someone to test that the product does what the customer asked for (Test Team)

Someone to provide the systems and hardware to allow the developer and tester to do their jobs (Infrastructure Support)

Someone to set the customer up with the product (Implementation Team)

Someone to provide after sales support to the customer (Support Team)

Someone to manage this whole process (Project Manager)

Comment

Working...
                    X