• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I asking the right quesiton / how would you respond?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I asking the right quesiton / how would you respond?

Long and short of it is that my client doesn't have a data retention policy. The mail system is due to come to a halt some time next week because the mail log is growing too big. I am therfore drafting a mail to the IT manager and the compliance officer as follows:

"Gents,

The e-mail system currently maintains a log of all incoming and outgoing email. The database is growing too big and if left will mean the mail system will grind to a halt some time next week.

The question remains as to what to do with this information - does xxxxx have any requirement to maintian such logs and if so for what period of time - for example to provide the ability to prove or disprove that an e-mail had been sent or recevied.

xxx should understand that there should be no assumption that any official records of electronic communication are being maintained as the policy on retenetion of such information is yet to be defined - that is to say, any backups being taken are sufficient solely for the purposes required by the IT department i.e. for technical reasons."

Am I asking the right quesitons? Is it a bit too "bull in a china shop"? The people this is goign to are not that savvy when it comes to corporate obligations to maintain records - in fact anything IT related.

Is there a better approach I could use? I can't guess what they want me to do! I am but a contractor...

Surely it's only a matter of archiving it to DVD/tape. There's no reason why the information should be irretrievably lost, is there?

By the time you've finished crafting your memo, you could have done it!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

For starters, stop dicking around with emails to all and sundry pointing out problems and no solutions. That's for permies.

Find out what the regulatory framework is (you profess ignorance in your email), and devise a solution with rough costing and schedule. Book a meeting with your direct report and his/her boss and explain the problems and potential solutions to them over a presentation lunch. Then, and most crucially, tout the services of YourCo in solving the problem by presenting a costed bid for the job.

Think like a business, not a BoS gimp.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
        Surely it's only a matter of archiving it to DVD/tape. There's no reason why the information should be irretrievably lost, is there?

By the time you've finished crafting your memo, you could have done it!
        Quite - assuming that is what they want me to do. Where does the tape go? Who will know where to find the tape - or even know that it exists? How is data retreived from the tape?

Doesn't this need to be a coprorate strategy rather than me guessing what they want?

I don't run their business, I cannot make these decisions....

Comment

Originally posted by funkyd
          I don't run their business, I cannot make these decisions....
          You are a solutions provider. Start thinking like one rather than thinking like a "problem pointer outer" permie.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            For starters, stop dicking around with emails to all and sundry pointing out problems and no solutions. That's for permies.

Find out what the regulatory framework is (you profess ignorance in your email), and devise a solution with rough costing and schedule. Book a meeting with your direct report and his/her boss and explain the problems and potential solutions to them over a presentation lunch. Then, and most crucially, tout the services of YourCo in solving the problem by presenting a costed bid for the job.

Think like a business, not a BoS gimp.
            This is what I would normally do - but this client just expects things to be solved - a "just do it" mentality - they don't want to think about it, see it or be involved - IT is not important at board / management level.

You are a solutions provider. Start thinking like one rather than thinking like a "problem pointer outer" permie.
            I agree - but you can't make decisions about how the business is to be run - what rules they follow.
            How do I know whether they expect to keep mail for 6 weeks, 6 months or 6 years?
            Last edited by funkyd; 10 May 2006, 10:23.

Comment

This is what I would normally do - but this client just expects things to be solved - a "just do it" mentality - they don't want to think about it, see it or be involved - IT is not important at board / management level.
              JFDI then.

Comment

I agree - but you can't make decisions about how the business is to be run - what rules they follow.
                How do I know whether they expect to keep mail for 6 weeks, 6 months or 6 years?
                I'm not advising you to make decisions, I'm advising you to put forward a proposal and a costed bid for doing the job.

Comment

I'm not advising you to make decisions, I'm advising you to put forward a proposal and a costed bid for doing the job.
                  I think two years of having not completed a project (completed by me but not implimeted by them) at this client has fecked my brain.

Comment

You are clearly in a position to SUGGEST a solution or two, so just do that?
                    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Working...
                    X