• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Presents from Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presents from Client

Just got bought a bottle of Jura by my client to say thank you. Just finished my last bottle at Christmas so good timing

Has anyone else been bought something by a client?

Got a bottle of cheap fizzy at Christmas one year. Not great but better than nothing.

Comment

Nowt so far.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I remember one gig where the workload was very high and it was a daily rate. I charged about an extra £2k which the permies of course did for free. When the project went live the manager gave them each a bottle of spirits. I wish I had been permie and had that instead of the £2k.

Comment

I've had a leaving present (£50 gift voucher) and also had stuff bought for my son when I went on paternity leave.

Suppose it depends upon the team and environment.
          Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Sound like a bunch of hidden permies to me!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The company I'm currently working for perms get cards + gifts (£40-60) but the contractors just get a card

This happens for all sorts - b'days, leaving, baby, any other kind of big thing.

always a bloody card and envelope going round - p1$$es me right off!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Sound like a bunch of hidden permies to me!
                I never got this when I was a permie though I got bonuses (that was expected) but never something unexpected to say thank you.

I have been on the other end and given presents out to clients though in the past. I remember buying a bottle of whiskey for the datacentre manager a few years back for accommodating the erratic nature of the clients senior management and unreliable suppliers (and of course putting up with me as PM! ) on a major website upgrade project for a UK supermarket a few years ago.

Comment

I buy permies stuff when they go out of their way to help - maybe a couple of bottles of nice beer, just as a thank you.

Certainly helps when dealing with the likes of permie support who can, if they choose, make things very difficult for you. Funnily the next person in their team is more eager to help the next time you've a little favour to ask.
                  Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
                    The company I'm currently working for perms get cards + gifts (£40-60) but the contractors just get a card

This happens for all sorts - b'days, leaving, baby, any other kind of big thing.

always a bloody card and envelope going round - p1$$es me right off!
                    I hate all that permie tulip, I don't do cards, i never put any money in, and i don't sign them when i leave i always make a point of telling them not to give me a card, i like to leave the same way i arrive

Comment

Working...
                    X