• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New tax about to be introduced

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tax about to be introduced

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4756763.stm

Id be ok with this is it was central government running the show BUT devolving responsibility down to individual councils will mean we end up with the same fiasco they call traffic wardens (where everything is outsourced and the only driver is PROFIT!).

Instead of spending all those hundreds of millions of pounds on developing this tax system WHY dont they invest that money in to public transport and MAKE it a system people want to use!

Awe well, I guess its only fair!

Mailman

I wouldn't worry, he'll be gone within a year. The transport minister's job has been a swiftly revolving door since 1997.

Comment

Blue Labour were touting this in the early 1990s
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

What concerns me is the silence from opposition parties.

The other problem I reckon we will see is councils introducing this tax on roads that are used bugger all anyway (in an attempt to capture as much revenue as possible).

It will be a reply of how local government privatised traffic wardens!

Its gonna end up in tears I tells you!
        Mailman

Comment

You can always leave!
          You don't have to live in Blairs (sorry Browns) Britain

Comment

Stop net immigration. It is the only way to slow down and eventually halt traffic growth.

All these schemes and taxes are like using aspirin to treat cancer.

Comment

I assume that as they are charging us by the mile travelled they will be abolishing road tax and the duty on fuel?

Drivers in the UK already subsidise HMG to the tune of about 30 billion a year. Tax take is about 50 and spending on roads is about 20.

Unintended consequences: City centric house price boom. Villages and rural areas becoming only available to those who can afford to commute.

Essential workers wont be able to afford houses where they are needed (more so than now) and wont be able to afford to commute.

Spend the money on improving public transport to a state where it would be stupid not to use it, even subsidise it so it is extremely cheap.

Oh sod it, what a bunch of clowns.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I thought that might amuse.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

More taxes

He said that it was time to face "certain basic facts" that as the nation's prosperity improved, people would want to travel more and to travel further.
                  Yes like out of the UK ..and for good

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    I assume that as they are charging us by the mile travelled they will be abolishing road tax and the duty on fuel?
                    BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah of course the Government will do that!

You know, when was the last time a new tax was introduced that had a net effect of lowering the overall tax burden on us "workers"?

And if you read the article on the beeb it sounds like this tax will be placed on certain "popular" roads so its not gonna be a blanket tax.

Another unintended consequence is to create more congestion on single lane roads that have no road tax, thus moving the congestion from one area to another.

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X