• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

does working in govt backlist you for the city

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does working in govt backlist you for the city

quick question.

I have a contract offered to me on a NHS related govt PM job. Currently got a lot of city background, but this pays 550 a day. Also seems fairly low stress from what i saw at interview.

question is, will a 6 month+ stint on the CV for PM'ing for a white elephant project (computer weekly goes on and on about NHS IT etc), I am messing up future work in the city?

comments welcome.

Yes.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Some potential clients do see public sector work as the sign of a lightweight, yes.

Comment

But then Labour will be in for the next 20 years and so public spending will increase and more and more IT white elephants will be ordered, so you will be on a long, relaxing and profitable gravy train.

toot-toot!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
          Yes.
          Take that and you can kiss good bye to any future work in the private sector,
          best advice I can give is to award the contract to myself, Ive had enough of every sector.

When you get down to
          Making the Loot

Dont give a damn
          Dont give a hoot

Chauffer Driven

Comment

this is interesting and scares the life out of me....

so, bottom line, taking a govt contract will screw me over.

i need to decide today, dont have anything else on the table...london base

Comment

I think if you have stack loads of experience I'm sure you'd get back into a City bank. I mean its not uncommon to be unemployed for several months. The only thing is that what you'd be doing now isn't relevant.

If you want to stay in banking I would look for a better paid job. Personally I wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than £600 a day for a City bank.

If you have no other option, take it, delay signing for a couple of days while you blitz jobserve, if the response is good then don't sign.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by scottbell
                this is interesting and scares the life out of me....

so, bottom line, taking a govt contract will screw me over.

i need to decide today, dont have anything else on the table...london base

Take the contract, stash the cash, remove it from your CV next time you want a City job - just say you went on an action holiday in South America or some such. City recruiters appreciate interesting breaks but not public sector work.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

I spent eight months last year working for the NHS. When that contract came to an end I walked straight into a plum role with an asset management company in the city even though I had no financial experience. The fact that I had been working in the public sector didn't work against me. It really comes down to your skills at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by decode
                    I spent eight months last year working for the NHS. When that contract came to an end I walked straight into a plum role with an asset management company in the city even though I had no financial experience. The fact that I had been working in the public sector didn't work against me. It really comes down to your skills at the end of the day.
                    Maybe for totally bog-standard technical work. For anything with any level of seniority/business oriented - BA, PM work the answer is no.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X