• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking the plunge in a hurry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the plunge in a hurry

Hi all

I've been browsing the forums for a couple of days, reading the first timers guides, intro with an accountant, questioning various contractors I know etc., all in the assumption that I would start up a ltd company in the next month or so with a view to contracting.

My wife is due to give birth any day now (already overdue) so my plan was to take the next 4-5 weeks out and live on savings, whilst finding some time to determine what I need to do in regards to taking the plunge.

All of a sudden, my old company have asked if I could contract for them 1 day a week, whilst I am taking time out. The role would not be what I was doing before. Anyway I now have an urgent need to sort things out very quickly (they want me to start this Friday), so have been reading as much tonight as possible, however as I don't know how much time I have in regards to my wife going into labor, I need to clarify a few things in a rush, so could anybody confirm if the following is a fair list of what I should do in the next day(s):

1. Create a company - accountant said they would handle this, as well as initiating company bank account
    2. Join PCG
    3. Get Professional Indemnity insurance - going to use QDOS
    4. Get contract reviewed - going to use Bauer & Cottrell contract guardian

I know this probably isn't exhaustive, however are these the key things I need to urgently do / are the major start up costs? I just don't want to miss anything obvious. =)

Originally posted by Nebari View Post
    Hi all

I've been browsing the forums for a couple of days, reading the first timers guides, intro with an accountant, questioning various contractors I know etc., all in the assumption that I would start up a ltd company in the next month or so with a view to contracting.
    I am gonna be made redundant if you new guys come on reading the guides!
    All of a sudden, my old company have asked if I could contract for them 1 day a week, whilst I am taking time out. The role would not be what I was doing before. Anyway I now have an urgent need to sort things out very quickly (they want me to start this Friday), so have been reading as much tonight as possible, however as I don't know how much time I have in regards to my wife going into labor, I need to clarify a few things in a rush, so could anybody confirm if the following is a fair list of what I should do in the next day(s):

1. Create a company - accountant said they would handle this, as well as initiating company bank account
    2. Join PCG
    3. Get Professional Indemnity insurance - going to use QDOS
    4. Get contract reviewed - going to use Bauer & Cottrell contract guardian

I know this probably isn't exhaustive, however are these the key things I need to urgently do / are the major start up costs? I just don't want to miss anything obvious. =)
    Well if you are short of time you can forget 2 and 3. They are long run stuff and can wait a couple of weeks. Saying that though if you get QDOS PI/PL they do free reviews so you will not need to do number 4 so kill two birds with one stone.

You need get VAT registered and on the FRS at some point.

I don't think there is a rush here. You just don't invoice your 1 day a week client until you are ready. The contract can be drawn up in whatever name you are going to call your company and then just hold off invoicing for a month or two until it is all set up? Could even just invoice as a sole trader but someone else would have to tell you about that.

Don't worry too much about the company, there are ways and means around this and in the very worst case there are no better excuses than your wife giving birth in the middle of the form.

Your priority is..

1) Make sure your wife and baby to be are ok
    2) Do company stuff later. It can wait.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You need get VAT registered and on the FRS at some point.
      No, you don't.

If your VATable turnover breaches the threshold, then you need to register. If you have considered the benefits / downsides of being in FRS, then you should consider whether you should do this.

There is no NEED to do either.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The NLUKbot welcomes you.

Are you sure you are cut out for contracting? Have you tried searching?
        The NLUKbot - using 16k to defeat bio-NLUK

Comment

IF you're joining PCG anyway, take a look at their Startup option - main website /Join PCG /Which membership. Gets you the whole thing in one tin.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Many thanks for the replies. =)

The accountant is sorting out FRS for me as well. I'll be talking to him in the next hour or so.

With regards to QDOS, as far as I can see they have 2 options for reviews:

1. £85 per contract review - I'm not sure if this a pass only cost or not (i.e. if it fails and I get the contract altered, do I need to pay £85 again for another review)?
            2. A bundle of 3 reviews in a year

The reason I am leaning towards B&C is that it is unlimited over a year and they will also negotiate the contract changes with the client / agency for me.

NorthernLadUK - Is it definitely the case if I take PI & PL insurance with QDOS that I get free reviews (I can't see any mention of that when selecting their products - I may be missing something blatantly obvious). Also if so, do you know if there is a limit to the number of reviews?

And of course, my priority is my wife and little one to be

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              No, you don't.

If your VATable turnover breaches the threshold, then you need to register. If you have considered the benefits / downsides of being in FRS, then you should consider whether you should do this.

There is no NEED to do either.
              How much is the threshold?
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                How much is the threshold?
                The VAT threshold is £73,000 take a look at the link from HMRC

HM Revenue & Customs: VAT rates, thresholds, fuel scale charges, exchange rates

You can still register for VAT if you dont meet the threshold it all depends on if it is going to be good for the company.

Comment

I've just spoken to someone at QDOS and they confirmed that you do get 3 free reviews per year you purchase PI / PL insurance with them.

I also confirmed that, if a contract fails their review and needs amendments and a re-review then this would still be classed as part of the original review, therefore only using up one of the free reviews.
                  Last edited by Nebari; 24 January 2012, 11:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebari View Post
                    I've just spoken to someone at QDOS and they confirmed that you do get 3 free reviews per year you purchase PI / PL insurance with them.

I also confirmed that, if a contract fails their review and needs amendments and a re-review then this would still be classed as part of the original review, therefore only using up one of the free reviews.
                    Oh ye of little faith
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X