• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Real Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Real Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

BBC iPlayer - Wonderland: Series 4: The Real Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines: A Wonderland Film

Documentary following three teams of microlight enthusiasts who navigate their way across Britain armed only with a map and compass, hoping to win the Round Britain Rally.

Anyone else catch this? What a great bit of TV.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Yes - it was top telly - and made me want to have a go (for about a nanosecond)

Comment

They have a lot of guts. This can be confirmed by the what’s left on the ground after a bad landing.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I watched it - they all seemed to have some fear of flying.. very strange and unlike all the people who ive ever met when ive been flying...
        wish they had followed some of the other enthusiasts who actually enjoyed flying rather than these muppets who couldnt even read a map!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Yes - it was top telly - and made me want to have a go (for about a nanosecond)
          I've done paragliding which I did briefly try and pursue but broken and twisted ankles aren't conducive with a 'no work no pay' income situation so I lost my bottle on that one.

My wife just looked at me last night and said "No chance".

I'll stick to land sailing.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            I've done paragliding which I did briefly try and pursue but broken and twisted ankles aren't conducive with a 'no work no pay' income situation so I lost my bottle on that one.

My wife just looked at me last night and said "No chance".

I'll stick to land sailing.
            If youre interested in flying, Look at the Ikarus C42 - it looks like a "proper plane" rather than a microlight. more fun to fly than most planes as they weigh less with excellent climb rate, and cheap to fly.
            She wont worry so much if it looks like a real plane

Comment

Originally posted by Joeman View Post
              I watched it - they all seemed to have some fear of flying.. very strange and unlike all the people who ive ever met when ive been flying...
              wish they had followed some of the other enthusiasts who actually enjoyed flying rather than these muppets who couldnt even read a map!!
              They followed 3 microlight crews, one was an enthusiastic father with a frightened son another was the a pilot who agreed to take the programme maker and the other was record holder who had flown over Everest and flew to Australia, he slept under the wing and refuelled mid-air with jerry cans!!

A fairly good cross section IMO.

Comment

If youre interested in flying, Look at the Ikarus C42 - it looks like a "proper plane" rather than a microlight. more fun to fly than most planes as they weigh less with excellent climb rate, and cheap to fly.
                I've got 2 young kids, I struggle to get a couple of hours a week for 'man pursuits'.

Maybe in 10 years time.

Comment

Naming an aircraft after someone who fell to their death after flying too close to the Sun?

******* priceless!

Comment

Started flying a C42 last year, much fun and not as draughty.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X