• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Romney pays 15% tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romney pays 15% tax

Mitt Romney pays lower taxes than average American | World news | The Guardian

"I pay all the taxes that are legally required and not a dollar more," he said. "I don't think you want someone as the candidate for president who pays more taxes than he owes."

Good lad. F88ked now though in terms of his presidential ambition though I'd have thought.
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

That's just CGT 15% on investments, pretty reasonable level and it's good that he makes money in USA and pays a lot of taxes $6 mln in the last two years according to the article.

Now if he did use some artificial offshores to cut down tax to 0%, then it would be problem and right now he is only "guilty" in being wealthy and continueing to invest to make money. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

I think he's on to a winner!

The U.S voters think of what they might become - they embrace the myth that anyone can just get out of their static caravan and suddenly become a multi-millionaire.

That's why they vote republican - they vote in tax cuts for the top 1% thinking that when they join that group it will be good for them. They vote against welfare and free health care despite the vast amount of people declared bankrupt each year when caught in the health care doughnut MMS: Error.

Its a crazy mindset but by paying his due but not a cent more is what these people want.

The people who'll be up in arms are already democrat voters.
      Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        That's just CGT 15% on investments, pretty reasonable level and it's good that he makes money in USA and pays a lot of taxes $6 mln in the last two years according to the article.

Now if he did use some artificial offshores to cut down tax to 0%, then it would be problem and right now he is only "guilty" in being wealthy and continueing to invest to make money. Nothing wrong with that.
        Why is tax on gains lower than tax on toil? ...No need to answer that.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Answer is simple - those with lots of money to invest can take them anywhere in the world, so if you do not have sufficiently favourable tax climate for these guys you'd get 0% tax rather than 15%. Proper investment will create jobs so further taxes will be paid.

Country that desires to give its citizens chance to earn wealth should have appropriate taxes for it.

It's not a loophole there - it's not like he flipped house to avoid paying CGT, he appears to have pait it at full rate and who is there to say it was disguised salary rather than investment income?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Duh, it's because the companies who made the gains have already been taxed. You know, like a contractor pays corporation tax then can declare dividends up to a certain amount and not suffer double taxation.

Also I suppose because a lot of capital gains are illusory and just a symptom of the Obammunists debasing the dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
              I think he's on to a winner!

The U.S voters think of what they might become - they embrace the myth that anyone can just get out of their static caravan and suddenly become a multi-millionaire.

That's why they vote republican - they vote in tax cuts for the top 1% thinking that when they join that group it will be good for them. They vote against welfare and free health care despite the vast amount of people declared bankrupt each year when caught in the health care doughnut MMS: Error.

Its a crazy mindset but by paying his due but not a cent more is what these people want.

The people who'll be up in arms are already democrat voters.
              This crazy aspirant fantasy explains why people kept voting for Thatch and to a lesser extent Major even though they were being shafted.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

I'm surprised it's as much as 15% - bet you wouldn't catch many or "our" super-rich paying that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  I'm surprised it's as much as 15% - bet you wouldn't catch many or "our" super-rich paying that much.
                  Yeah me too to be honest, though he only released tax returns for last 2 years and seems to be very reluctant to do for earlier years, it if turns out he paid a lot less - like near 0% then it can doom his presidential bid.

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
                    Romney pays 15% tax
                    US Republican hopeful Mitt Romney pays 13.9% tax
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X