• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vince Cable: footballers deserve lavish pay, bankers don't

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vince Cable: footballers deserve lavish pay, bankers don't

The Business Secretary set out plans to reform the pay of top executives in the City, whose pay has soared by 12 per cent while most employees are seeing real term cuts in their pay.

Mr Cable said he was often asked "why I don't make the same fuss about footballers", while claiming that pay for bankers is too high.

"There is a difference," he said. "Failure is severely punished. Rewards for the few are lavish but quality is recognised. Nor do we have fundamental objection from the fan base. But they do expect rewards to reflect merits." (AtW's comment: that's total BS - lots of very highly paid flops who don't perform yet bank massive salary that banks can only dream of)

Mr Cable said he wanted a change in business culture to make sure there were no longer "rewards for failure and mediocrity".

The Business Secretary said he would like to see fewer lords on the board and more new directors whose "achievements are before them rather than behind them".

Source: Vince Cable: footballers deserve lavish pay, bankers don't - Telegraph

Neither deserve high pay.

I do though.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Nor do we have fundamental objection from the fan base
      That's the important bit - the public don't like the bankers so targeting them is just fine. If there's a big scandal about footballers' wages and they become unpopular, they'd be targeted in a flash.

Cheap and superficial pandering to the public and their short attention span.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Footballers are under crutiny now by HMRC because of interesting payment structures some of them have.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Footballers are under crutiny now by HMRC because of interesting payment structures some of them have.
          This is what HMRC should be doing, going after the big fish they make millions after all
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

I don't GAS what a football player earns as I don't pay their wages, if people are happy to pay for Sky sports they can't argue.

Bwankers trousering public cash for failure on the other hand.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I don't GAS what a football player earns as I don't pay their wages, if people are happy to pay for Sky sports they can't argue.

Bwankers trousering public cash for failure on the other hand.
              WHS - football "fans" are morons for the most part. They could stop the daft wages and crazy prices tomorrow but they are too weak willed. Same thing for SKY telly - make it cheap by not buying until it is.

Comment

Why can't footballer's pay be performance related?

Comment

That may be the case but then why (if that is the case) should they be able to insulate more of their money for themselves when they already have enough?
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Why can't footballer's pay be performance related?
                    They are not that stupid to sign such contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X