• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Petrol Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petrol Doom

Petroplus bankruptcy: Drivers face fuel shortages as Coryton refinery goes bust | Mail Online

Drivers face chronic fuel shortages and soaring petrol prices as one of the UK's biggest refineries goes bankrupt

AA urged motorists not to panic buy and drain petrol stations of their reserves

Dooooooomed!

This would never have happened with Gordon Brown's steady hand at the helm. Damn those boom and bust Tories with the Liberal plonker stuck on.

I'm not going to panic but plan to fill up all five of my V8's tomorrow morning.

I can't be arsed to read a Daily Fail article, but just how the hell does a petrol refinery go bust? It's not like the prices have dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
      I can't be arsed to read a Daily Fail article, but just how the hell does a petrol refinery go bust? It's not like the prices have dropped.
      Competition from windmills I suspect.

Comment

The Swiss owners went bust, they'll have a buyer by the morning.

The workers and the union guy didn't seem the slightest bit flustered.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
          Extracting oil is more profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Extracting oil is more profitable.
            Depends on the price. A lot of oil fields became uneconomical when the price crashed a couple of years ago, but it's back up again now.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              Depends on the price. A lot of oil fields became uneconomical when the price crashed a couple of years ago, but it's back up again now.
              Well no tulip Freamon - of course it all depends on price and my comment related to current situation when oil is 10 times the price it was just 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                This would never have happened with Gordon Brown's steady hand at the helm. Damn those boom and bust Tories with the Liberal plonker stuck on.

I hope you're being sarcastic? If not, then you're a brain dead cretin with the memory of a goldfish. We had countless panic buys and price fluctuations under labour. I remember the last two blockades/fuel shortages under labour. Everybody panic bought and I couldnt fill up with petrol for nearly a week.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Well no tulip Freamon - of course it all depends on price and my comment related to current situation when oil is 10 times the price it was just 15 years ago.
                That isnt strictly true.

Oil as a trade commodity is ten times the price but not oil as a product. That disparity is set to increase the further the dollar weakens, when they default against their debt holders.

People laughed years ago and still do at the chinese being a superpower, but who's laughing now when they are swallowing up our utility companies, hold a lot of debt bonds and exploit entire continents like Africa among others, displace communities for cheap materials and manage through their own countries disparity to embrace commerce obtaining multi-level exports that no other country can manage.

Comment

The 'nanny' sign above the M5 near Clevedon which usually reads "Dont drink and drive" or "Tiredness can kill" read "Check your fuel level" this morning.

Is a government agency trying to cause a panic?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Refinery margins are (currently) about $3 a barrel and so it's not always a good business to be in.

Comment

Working...
                    X