• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Varifocal lenses and computer screens, any issues or advice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varifocal lenses and computer screens, any issues or advice?

I have just had new prescriptions and was informed that my near reading is not so good hence i should think of varifocals.

I am also short sighted. (left & right are -2.50)

Can any one using varifocals let me who how they get on with them in front of Computer screens and laptops?

Also which is best? Boots with Zeiss Lenses or Specsavers with Pentax ? .... or it just does not matter ?

cheers

css_jay99

Can't you just take your glasses off for reading?, that's what I do or sometimes I peer over the top of my glasses. I suppose it depends on how short sighted you are.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
      I have just had new prescriptions and was informed that my near reading is not so good hence i should think of varifocals.

I am also short sighted. (left & right are -2.50)

Can any one using varifocals let me who how they get on with them in front of Computer screens and laptops?

Also which is best? Boots with Zeiss Lenses or Specsavers with Pentax ? .... or it just does not matter ?

cheers

css_jay99

It depends on the monitor height. If its at eyelevel Varifocals are useless as the monitor needs to be lower so that your head is level and your are looking down at the lower part of the lens. You will need Varifocals with wide vision, they are the most expensive. Alternatively, get a second pair just for computer use.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        It depends on the monitor height. If its at eyelevel Varifocals are useless as the monitor needs to be lower so that your head is level and your are looking down at the lower part of the lens. You will need Varifocals with wide vision, they are the most expensive. Alternatively, get a second pair just for computer use.
        +1 I would just go for basic glasses for computer use. The people I know with varifocals spend hours adjusting things to see screens correctly.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

At -2.5D, infinity for your eyes is about a foot (1/2.5m), which is where your eyes will be comfortable for reading. Never tried varifocals, but I'd have thought a (cheap) pair of +1.5's, to get you up to about -1D and 1m, for extended reading sessions would be more comfortable than varifocals. You want to look down your nose all day?

Comment

WPS.

Zeity, from about -2.50 you can read without glasses but only really close up. Two issues there: firstly, if you are by chance the oldest guy on the project, this is going to emphasis that, which you may not want. Secondly, you can't look at someone else's screen with them, because that demands just the distance of vision that you don't have either with or without glasses.

I use contacts, and have one eye set for far distance, and the other for comfortable reading distance. This is a common soultion prescribed by ophthalmologists, usuall called "monovision". It works well for me but YMMV, others prefer toric lenses, my brain just doesn't buy what they tell it so I don't see well with them.
            Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

My dad says that he has no problem with his pair.

First time, I'd get a decent pair from a high street optician. Once you get used to them, I'd get a cheap pair online.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I would just go for basic glasses for computer use. The people I know with varifocals spend hours adjusting things to see screens correctly.
                WES

I never use my varifocals for PC use, just get some decent reading glasses for that. They will be better and much cheaper.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I have distance and reading glasses. No point in varifocals when you're sitting at a screen IMHO. They save you the trouble of carrying the other pair around and swapping them over as needed, but surely if you're trying to read a screen with varifocals you're going to have to tilt your head back and peer down your nose?

Varifocals solve the problem of looking down at stuff (e.g. a piece of paper on a desk) but that isn't the problem you have.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Varifocals solve the problem of looking down at stuff (e.g. butlers, sasguru etc.) but that isn't the problem you have.
                    FTFY
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X