• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond 1 Paxman 0

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salmond 1 Paxman 0

Desperate! I love how the taxman compared Salmond to Mugabe - straight for the jugular.

BBC News - Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond spars with Paxman

Scotlands' First Minister Alex Salmond has said a vote on independence will be Scotland's biggest decision for 300 years.

The first minister was in London to deliver the Hugo Young lecture, following in the footsteps of politicians such as David Cameron.

Mr Salmond will return to Scotland on Wednesday to make public his plans for a referendum on independence.

The SNP leader has already said he wants to hold the referendum vote in the autumn of 2014.

Newsnight's Jeremy Paxman spoke to Mr Salmond about the politics of independence.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Desperate! I love how the taxman compared Salmond to Mugabe - straight for the jugular.

Perhaps he has a point?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Paxman was More worried about the f**king BBC license fee than how Scotland would cope with independence.
      Why did he not ask Salmond to explain how Scotland would run its currency, defence, how it would create jobs and if you like fund its own BBC.
      I loathe Salmond but Paxman made it very easy for him to look good.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        I loathe Salmond but Paxman made it very easy for him to look good.
        Perhaps he's no got the gift of the gab, like, you know?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I heard some interesting statistics on Radio 4 a couple of days ago:

1. A higher percentage of Scots than English are AGAINST independence, I think the figures were something like 55% to 34%
          2. Even after oil is taken into the account, Scots are subsidised by England to the tune of £2k a head a year.

I wonder if these statistics are somehow related
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I wonder what level of country's debt will be apportioned to Scotland should it gain independance, there's no escaping it
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

1. A higher percentage of Scots than English are AGAINST independence, I think the figures were something like 55% to 34%
              2. Even after oil is taken into the account, Scots are subsidised by England to the tune of £2k a head a year.

And your arguement falls down just when you said 'statistics'.

I saw some statistics yesterday that suggest that in four out of the last five years, Scotland's contribution to UK Coffers was larger than the block grant and other reciepts from UK Coffers.

Did you know that 10% of road accidents are caused by people with alcohol in their blood streams ? This is conclusive proof you have a nine out of ten chance of being hit by some idiot who hasn't been drinking.

It all depends who's statistics you believe and when something isn't actually measured in the same terms as it's being reported, it's difficult to lend credence to any of it.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

1) A vote on independence shall not be based on ethnicity but rather residency. So that's a pointless statistic.

2) Why would England what to keep finical ties to a state that brings their coffers such burden?

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  I wonder what level of country's debt will be apportioned to Scotland should it gain independance, there's no escaping it
                  About £24 billion I heard, given the population. Compared to Greece with double the population which has multiplies of the same debt I'm happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    And your arguement falls down just when you said 'statistics'.

I saw some statistics yesterday that suggest that in four out of the last five years, Scotland's contribution to UK Coffers was larger than the block grant and other reciepts from UK Coffers.

Did you know that 10% of road accidents are caused by people with alcohol in their blood streams ? This is conclusive proof you have a nine out of ten chance of being hit by some idiot who hasn't been drinking.

It all depends who's statistics you believe and when something isn't actually measured in the same terms as it's being reported, it's difficult to lend credence to any of it.
                    You betray a profound lack of knowledge of statistics. Statistics aren't just the data produced, but the methodology behind producing them which are in turn, mathematically based. So sound methodology will lead to sound results.
                    Of course we can't tell that just from the results - however an opinion poll conducted in accordance with the correct methodology will usually produce correct results to a given margin of error
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X