• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Given my late 2006 iMac a new lease of life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given my late 2006 iMac a new lease of life

disable flash content in Safari with click to flash. Holly sheet. Swap file access is almost non-existent now. Death to flash.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    disable flash content in Safari with click to flash. Holly sheet. Swap file access is almost non-existent now. Death to flash.
    Isn't that exactly what Steve Il Jong always said?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I've been using ClickToFlash for ages. I reckon it's increased the life of my MacBook's fan by several orders of magnitude

Comment

Is there an easy way to tell the OS to use the external FW 800 drive for swapfiles?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Is there an easy way to tell the OS to use the external FW 800 drive for swapfiles?
          There's osx - Moving the swapfiles to a dedicated partition in Snow Leopard - Super User but I don't know how reliable that would be with an external drive. Then there's osx - Moving the OS X swap file to a faster drive - Super User which has an answer mentioning a commercial solution. Then there's Moving Swap on OS X 10.5 Leopard | SysArchitects which includes the excellent note "You'd have to be nuts to do this. The existing pager settings work fine."

Comment

Sounds scary. Let see what this Xupport app is all about claims to do the job in a couple of clicks.

Comment

As I found out when I was suffering power cuts (laptop booted off external Firewire disk so the system carried on but the disk didn't), OS X isn't very tolerant of the system disk going offline, and I strongly suspected that was down to swap activity.

If you do put your swapfiles on your external FW disk, don't knock it offline by accident.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X