• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle-income Britain is in state of emergency, says Nick Clegg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle-income Britain is in state of emergency, says Nick Clegg

Middle-income Britain is in state of emergency, says Nick Clegg | Politics | The Guardian

Clegg really has got this wrong. What is needed is business tax cuts to generate jobs. Personal tax cuts will just go into buying more imported goods.

If low/middle income families are doing so badly then why are the roads always packed? Cigarette/Drink sales seem fair stable as well. And mobile phone providers seem unaffected.

As usual I guess rather than just cut back on the above they will stop feeding their children.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If low/middle income families are doing so badly then why are the roads always packed? Cigarette/Drink sales seem fair stable as well. And mobile phone providers seem unaffected.

As usual I guess rather than just cut back on the above they will stop feeding their children.

That's just good parenting, it teaches them survival skills while at the same time hammering home the message the the 'the world doesn't owe them a living'.

Them chimneys ain't gonna sweep themselves.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

It's a real shame that we have to buy so many imported goods, it's decimated the manufacturing sector and over the years we just haven't been able to compete with other countries.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        It's a real shame that we have to buy so many imported goods, it's decimated the manufacturing sector and over the years we just haven't been able to compete with other countries.
        Last time I was in Spain I went shopping with my partner, and she noticed how many of the clothes on sale were actually made in Spain, compared to back home where everything is made in China or the Philippines or another usu. Asian usu. 3rd world country.

So I guess the Spanish economy is doing better than the British one?

Or could it be that importing cheaper goods is actually good for the economy overall, no matter how bad it might be for individual workers?
        And might that apply to IT services too?
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

George Bush put on tariffs on steel to protect American jobs. However that meant that the price of steel in the US rocketed and all the exporters of products that used steel couldn't compete any more. The tariffs were then rescinded because they would have cost 5 times the number of jobs they would have saved.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            Last time I was in Spain I went shopping with my partner, and she noticed how many of the clothes on sale were actually made in Spain, compared to back home where everything is made in China or the Philippines or another usu. Asian usu. 3rd world country.

Or could it be that importing cheaper goods is actually good for the economy overall, no matter how bad it might be for individual workers?
            And might that apply to IT services too?
            I suppose that at least if we keep buying it helps the economy, but would say it's probably not great for workers. Still with a weak pound it makes it more expensive to buy the raw materials for manufacturing so how do poorer countries manage it if their currencies are a lot lower than the pound for instance?
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
              Britain has the advantage of a floating currency.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Britain has the advantage of a floating currency.
                AtW might argue that a stable currency is better than one that 'floats' (sinks more like).

Comment

Working...
                X