• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you have a go to / friendly agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a go to / friendly agent?

Just wondering if I'm alone (maybe plain stupid) in having a friendly agent where I can bounce questions / requests?

This was the guy that placed my first contract and I've not actually been through that agency since but I've used him on multiple occasions to discuss the likes of handcuff clauses, market rates etc.

For instance I know that a number of roles are going to be advertised in the next week for my ClientCo and I'm interested in whether after the 10% cut, the new advertised rate will actually be higher than my current rate or if it has it factored in. So I've dropped him an email and he's going to give me a shout when it comes out.

Sleeping with the enemy - or smart alliance?
    Anti-bedwetting advice

Smart alliance.

I have a couple of agents that I speak to about different things - what is looming etc.

Having a good relationship with a few people you trust is a good idea.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It makes good business sense to keep in with people who could be of assistance in getting your company work

also whats the saying: keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Comment

yep, I go for beers with agents quite often. I get to hear what companies are doing what projects, and they get to meet my contractor mates, and get inside knowledge about new projects, and possible vacancies. Symbiotic relationship

Comment

Having a friendly agent is also an opportunity to stick the knife into the competition as well
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

yup - my current agent also found me work before - and he is a small agency so we sometimes bounce ideas of business strategy etc. and he comes out a few times a year and treats me to a night out unsupervised - also kids problems etc are aired both ways. So there is a personal atmosphere to conversations but there is also a clear knowledge of our business relationsship where we can both benefit by working together when negotiating with the end client.
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Yep - there is one I speak to when I need advice, he's also the chap I'd go to if I found a contract but needed to go through an agent.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yep, smart alliance. Mine knows exactly what I'm after in a contract and had 3 lined up for me before I left the last one - secured an offer in 3 days. Best contact I have for finding people to build a team, too. Having beers with him today as it happens. Still an agent though, so never let your guard down completely.

Comment

I speak to one I keep one chained up in my basement. He's stopped shouting though recently. Which reminds me I need to put some water down there.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It needs to be a closely monitored situation. Yes you keep pet agents in the know and even make sure they have the right CV's lined up to fill the roles I.e your mate or someone that you already know can do the job etc...

But when you find they stop helping you out then you withdraw the support...

It's good to talk but being expected to handover information without even a beer in return is not on...

Comment

Working...
                    X