• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nick Clegg: 'we'll stick to our guns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick Clegg: 'we'll stick to our guns

...on mansion tax'

The Deputy Prime Minister attacked “eye wateringly lucrative assets so often hoarded at the top” calling for the Coalition to do more tax “serious, unearned wealth” (AtW's: even if it's inherited tax was paid on such big asset, everybody else buying it with their own money with taxes paid - if not he should pursue tax evasion cases then).

Mr Clegg used a speech to a think-tank in London to demand that the Budget brings forward plans to raise the starting threshold for income tax, to ease the pressure on family budgets.

That call may not be accepted by his Conservative colleagues, who have also flatly rejected Lib Dem calls for a new tax on high-value homes.

But Mr Clegg told the Resolution Foundation he will continue to fight for more tax on wealth including property.

“There is another big part of the tax system where I believe we need to be much more ambitious: Serious, unearned wealth.

Source: Nick Clegg: 'we'll stick to our guns on mansion tax' - Telegraph

You don't have any guns Cleggy -

One way to tax unearned wealth is to up death taxes. 100% is best. I would like to see an end to the loophole of putting the money into trust.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      One way to tax unearned wealth is to up death taxes. 100% is best. I would like to see an end to the loophole of putting the money into trust.
      What about gifts that are not subject of inheritance tax after 7 years?

Personally I think gambling/lottery should be taxed as income, possibly more because it's totally unearned.

Comment

Working...
      X