• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self-assessment tax returns: builders and taxi drivers make the most mistakes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-assessment tax returns: builders and taxi drivers make the most mistakes

According to a survey of accountants conducted by Bloomsbury Professional, one in three builders provide incorrect information on their tax returns with 11pc of taxi drivers and 9pc of IT consultants filing the wrong details too.

Builders are traditionally seen as high risk because they are often paid in cash and the sums of money involved can be quite substantial. The building sector is usually on HM Revenue & Customs' (HMRC) radar, with HMRC even taking the unusual step of writing to home owners who have had building work done and paid cash to ask them to disclose the identity of their builders.

Martin Casimir, spokesman of Bloomsbury Professional, said: "Perhaps more than any other trade, builders frequently deal with quite large sums of cash. This makes accurate record keeping challenging and creates numerous opportunities for tax evasion.

"Cash-in-hand [deals] with the promise of no VAT is still incredibly common. With VAT now at 20pc, the incentive for cash payments is greater than ever."

Mr Casimir said that customers often ask for a cash-in-hand discount and with competition fierce during the economic downturn, the temptation to undercut a rival quote can be irresistible.

--------

Self-assessment tax returns: builders and taxi drivers making the most of their mistakes

FTFY
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Don't mention Taxi Drivers.

Chris, Whitehaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Self-assessment tax returns: builders and taxi drivers making the most of their mistakes

FTFY
        Deliberate 'mistakes' aside, it makes sense people who are generally not particularly well educated would stuff up their forms even if they tried hard not to.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Deliberate 'mistakes' aside, it makes sense people who are generally not particularly well educated would stuff up their forms even if they tried hard not to.
          Are you saying taxi drivers and builders can't count?

What about IT consultants?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Are you saying taxi drivers and builders can't count?

What about IT consultants?
            Your typical builder may be very skilled, but quite probably is not very academically bright and terrified of official forms (as are so many people). Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Trust me. My nephew's a builder, and he can get on his mobile and order a lorryload of stuff to build an extension on the spot while he's looking at an empty space.

He'll have three bricks, two roof tiles and one plank left over when it's built.

They can count alright :-)

Comment

Aren't London taxi drivers supposed to have one are of their brain hugely developed to cope with all the routes they have to memorise? Expect, like Homer Simpson, it pushes other stuff out.

PS Tax is all wasted anyway!!!
                PPS Yes it is, dooogh!
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
                  Trust me. My nephew's a builder, and he can get on his mobile and order a lorryload of stuff to build an extension on the spot while he's looking at an empty space.

He'll have three bricks, two roof tiles and one plank left over when it's built.

They can count alright :-)
                  And I know trigonometry but I'm crap at snooker and couldn't build a shed. Practical and academic are totally different.

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Aren't London taxi drivers supposed to have one are of their brain hugely developed to cope with all the routes they have to memorise? Expect, like Homer Simpson, it pushes other stuff out.

PS Tax is all wasted anyway!!!
                  PPS Yes it is, dooogh!
                  I think they just have SatNav.

Comment

What about premier league football managers dogs?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X