• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS Risks Row Over 'Unacceptable' Stephen Hester £1m Bonus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The bailed-out bank attempted to justify the bonus – which is being paid in shares that Hester will be able to gain access to in 2014 – by saying it needed to reward the chief executive for the progress he had made in reducing the size of RBS."

WTF? Surely he should get a bonus if he adds value over and above what he is paid for?

But his pay includes the bonus. That is what was agreed when he started. Also note the bonus is to be paid in Shares so performance is somewhat linked. What I want to know is what was the criteria for the size of bonus. Was it a flat sum of x shares, was it a flat value of £900k of shares or did he have KPI's to meet to get the bonus?

If he took the job on and his package was 1.2mil pay bonus of 900k of shares. The only thing he is guilty of is stupid wording in his package that we are all getting lost on.

If it was 1.2 mil and if you meet x y and z you can have 900k of shares then he better start justifying them else he is gonna get eaten alive.

No good asking the general public about this cause they havne't a clue IMO
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Really he should have done what Antonio Horta-Osorio (LloydsTSB) did and decline the bonus, IMHO he made the right choice seeing as Lloyds is cutting jobs left right and centre and it is 41% by the taxpayer
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        But his pay includes the bonus. That is what was agreed when he started. Also note the bonus is to be paid in Shares so performance is somewhat linked. What I want to know is what was the criteria for the size of bonus. Was it a flat sum of x shares, was it a flat value of £900k of shares or did he have KPI's to meet to get the bonus?
        There is a certain element of performance, I think. The bonus is 60% of what he could have got.

Also, the shares he got when he joined the company are now worthless.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          Really he should have done what Antonio Horta-Osorio (LloydsTSB) did and decline the bonus, IMHO he made the right choice seeing as Lloyds is cutting jobs left right and centre and it is 41% by the taxpayer
          Horta-Osorio was in an even worse position - by taking two months off because of the pressure of the job, it doesn't imply that you are performing too well.

It's all going to pale into insignificance when Diamond gets his bonus from Barclays, though.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            There is a certain element of performance, I think. The bonus is 60% of what he could have got.

Also, the shares he got when he joined the company are now worthless.
            Two points which change the landscape considerably but no one in the press wants to make a song and dance about this and general public are unaware. Silly carry on.

Be interesting to see if Bob Diamond sticks two fingers up to everyone and points out he earned it, he isn't known for bending over just to please people.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Barclays didn't require a bailout though unlike RBS and Lloyds
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                Barclays didn't require a bailout from the taxpayer. though unlike RBS and Lloyds

ftfy
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Apart from their private middle eastern bailout. But nothings going to change and in 5 years everyone will be back to paying silly money again.

I'm sure any bonus that's reduced or refused now will be paid back 10 fold in pension contributions or future bonuses.
                  Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                    Apart from their private middle eastern bailout. But nothings going to change and in 5 years everyone will be back to paying silly money again.

I'm sure any bonus that's reduced or refused now will be paid back 10 fold in pension contributions or future bonuses.
                    Sometimes I think the banks should all up sticks and move their HQ and trading activities to Shanghai. When they lose a load of money or pay themselves bonusses with taxpayers' money and have to explain themselves to some Communist Party official, things could get quite amusing.

Some banks threaten to up sticks and go; I'll tell you what though, if the likes of Goodwin, Fuld and McPillock did what they did in China they'd be in labour camps by now, breaking rocks for the rest of their lives and eating rotten brown rice, mouldy fish heads and boiled dog's brains.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X