• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whereof you cannot speak, thereof you should remain silent.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whereof you cannot speak, thereof you should remain silent.

Kahunas. Why do people talk of someone having Kahunas? Why on earth do they think that a stab in the dark at spelling an unknown word from another language is likely to be anywhere near the mark? Grr. OK:

Kahuna is a Hawaiian word, defined in the Pukui & Elbert (1986) as a "Priest, sorcerer, magician, wizard, minister, expert in any profession." (See also Ancient Hawaii)
    -- Wikipedia

Cojones (Spanish pronunciation: [koˈxones]) is a vulgar Spanish word for testicles or, denoting courage when used in the phrase "tener cojones" (equivalent to English "have the balls to").
    -- Wikipedia
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Why do we have to spell words the same way as foreign types, just because they invented the word. We have our own spellings for Johnny foreigner place names for example.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Why do we have to spell words the same way as foreign types, just because they invented the word. We have our own spellings for Johnny foreigner place names for example.
      Not just place names either. In fact, the Italians don't even have their own word for Spaghetti. They just use ours
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I have never heard the two confused, its always "someone is the big kahuna" or "someone has big cojones"
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I have never heard the two confused, its always "someone is the big kahuna" or "someone has big cojones"
          Example today in Business / Contracts:

Just because it is a professional forum it doesn't mean you don't need some kahunas and be able to stand up your own. If you can't go join mumsnet and whinge there.

<mod note: you actually need bigger kahunas for joining mumsnet. HTH>
          And no, TimberWolf, that's not a variant spelling, it's a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            Not just place names either. In fact, the Italians don't even have their own word for Spaghetti. They just use ours
            Vada a bordo, .....!

Comment

My nom-de-plume on another (hobby) forum is C.O'Jones, but nobody's got it yet

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                What kind of idiot would confuse the two!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                My advice is to grow some kahuna's
                How about grow some kahuna's and deal with it?
                You really need to grow some kahuna's.
                You seriously need to grow some kahuna's
                Originally posted by northernladuk
                grow some kahuna's
                I have to wonder if this is such a big deal and you don't have the sense to understand you situation and kahuna's to deal with it is contracting really for you?
                Grow some kahuna's and deal with it.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                  Kahunas. Why do people talk of someone having Kahunas? Why on earth do they think that a stab in the dark at spelling an unknown word from another language is likely to be anywhere near the mark? Grr. OK:

Kahuna is a Hawaiian word, defined in the Pukui & Elbert (1986) as a "Priest, sorcerer, magician, wizard, minister, expert in any profession." (See also Ancient Hawaii)
                  -- Wikipedia

Cojones (Spanish pronunciation: [koˈxones]) is a vulgar Spanish word for testicles or, denoting courage when used in the phrase "tener cojones" (equivalent to English "have the balls to").
                  -- Wikipedia
                  KAHUNA - Australian slang for penis. Also the name of a cricket bat they make down under...
                  Urban Dictionary

Big Kahunas - American slang: literally big balls, figuratively a man who has big kahunas has a lot of nerve, is brave, a risk taker, has a lot of testosterone.
                  Ted Turner: "Hey, listen. You've got to have big kahunas to be in this business.

Urban Dictionary
                  One word, many meanings. World isn't definded purely by wikipedia.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 27 January 2012, 13:19.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                    Example today in Business / Contracts:

And no, TimberWolf, that's not a variant spelling, it's a mistake.
                    What's wrong with that. I used to always make sure I went somewhere with a Magician. In fact, a Dwarf Warrior and a Elf Tracker.

I was a Barbarian.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X