• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OK who was it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK who was it?

‘A Guide to Working Ladies of London’ book under investigation by police after ‘five-star ratings guide’ sells 500 copies on Amazon

'A Guide to Working Ladies of London' book under investigation by police after 'five-star ratings guide' sells 500 copies on Amazon | Mail Online
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I thought he had been doing this for years? Similiar to the Punternet online rating system ..

..erm.. so I am told...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

All gone quiet, hasn't it?

Comment

Best comment:

I was just shocked to find out my wife was in the book, at least her reviews were good
        - Jon, West Sussex, 27/1/2012 12:22
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          ‘A Guide to Working Ladies of London’ book under investigation by police after ‘five-star ratings guide’ sells 500 copies on Amazon

'A Guide to Working Ladies of London' book under investigation by police after 'five-star ratings guide' sells 500 copies on Amazon | Mail Online
          Why would the police investigate? Prostitution is not illegal. Unless there is any suggestion of soliciting or living off immoral earnings which I doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Why would the police investigate? Prostitution is not illegal. Unless there is any suggestion of soliciting or living off immoral earnings which I doubt.
            It actually explains further down.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Only 500?
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I see Amazon has characteristically bottled it already: "This item is unavailable - We don't know when it will be in stock"

and if you had bought an e-copy of it from them for your kindle, that would doubtless have vanished without a trace by now

I've been a good customer of Amazon, but am beginning to go right off them
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

That's unusual - the Mail publish the sentence that proves their headline to be a falsehood a mere fourteen paragraphs in, around halfway through. Normally you have to read right to the end to find out they were making it up

Headline: "...book under investigation by police..."

Story: "A Met Police spokesman said they would consider investigating when they received information..."

Given that the police's standard response to something that hasn't previously been brought to their attention is that, if somebody complains about it, they will consider whether or not to investigate it further, we can safely assume that there is not and probably won't be any police investigation.
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 27 January 2012, 20:28.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    I see Amazon has characteristically bottled it already: "This item is unavailable - We don't know when it will be in stock"

and if you had bought an e-copy of it from them for your kindle, that would doubtless have vanished without a trace by now

I've been a good customer of Amazon, but am beginning to go right off them
                    What on earth are you on about? It says "Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available." That's what they always say when an item is out of stock, and it's hardly surprising given that they probably only stock a small number from a publisher of little note and will have been getting loads of orders due to the free publicity the Mail gave it.

The business of them wiping 1984 from Kindles was due to it being an edition published in breach of copyright, not because they were trying to censor the work, and they've apologised and stated they won't do that again.

Comment

Working...
                    X