• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weather derivatives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather derivatives

Oh FFS!!!

"As Britain prepares this weekend for a Siberian blast, councils across the country will be anxiously checking their betting slips.

The increasing cost of keeping roads open during harsh winter weather has forced councils to make spread bets to offset the risk of big financial losses. Weather derivatives – financial contracts that pay out in cases of extreme weather – are being actively tested by councils across the country.

The recent succession of historically cold winters, followed this year by what may prove to be the warmest winter on record, has fuelled concern among council strategists. Guardian research has revealed that in the last two years, councils nationwide have overspent on their winter budgets by up to 100%.

Dave Simpson, head of finance for strategy and communities at Lincolnshire county council, said: "We are looking at derivatives on a trial basis. Last year, we would have saved £1.5m. Derivatives could help generate considerable savings; this is very important to us during these difficult economic times.

"However, usage [of derivatives] could also potentially be an additional cost. With the mild winter this year we would so far have been out of pocket."

Derivatives are widely used in the private sector, especially the leisure, agricultural, energy and construction industries, to safeguard businesses. The worldwide weather derivatives market is worth more than £7bn."

Source: Hedging on roads: councils bet on icy weather | UK news | The Guardian

Brilliant idea!

Take your councils annual snow clearing / gritting budget.

Bet it on being a very cold winter.

If they are correct they have enough money for 100 gritters and 5 megatonnes of salt.

If they are wrong, well, they didn't need to spend anything anyway.

I'm telling you AtW, being a Dirty Spekulant is the future.

Come on in, the waters lurverly.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Brilliant idea!

Take your councils annual snow clearing / gritting budget.

Bet it on being a very cold winter.

If they are correct they have enough money for 100 gritters and 5 megatonnes of salt.

If they are wrong, well, they didn't need to spend anything anyway.

I'm telling you AtW, being a Dirty Spekulant is the future.

Come on in, the waters lurverly.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        "As Britain prepares this weekend for a Siberian blast, councils across the country will be anxiously checking their betting slips.
        -3 is hardly Siberian here
        Me, me, me...

Comment

This has given me an idea.

Sack 95% of the NHS except A&E and use 10% of the budget to insure every single person in the UK with private medical cover. Most of the sacked workers would find work in the massively increased private sector.

The money saved would pay for the deficit in a week.

Vote prawn!

Comment

I'm shorting snow in the short-term, but hedging by going long next year.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I'm shorting snow in the short-term, but hedging by going long next year.
              WTF you on about man, speak English!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                WTF you on about man, speak English!
                I'm shorting tall hedges this year, but hedging it by going long on short hedges next year. Read it in Gardeners World investment column.

Comment

I dont see what the fuss is about. Effectively they are just buying insurance.

Comment

Gamblers lose out long term though surely, otherwise there would be no 'house'.

Comment

Working...
                    X