• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why don't the Express, Daily Mail, Sun go bust?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't the Express, Daily Mail, Sun go bust?

I mean, who actually buys their newspapers, and reading all that crap online is free, and it's not like you are going to click on any adverts on that tulipe are you?

So, how do they turn a profit?

All the more amazing when you consider those freeby papers everyone reads on public transport now.

I hardly ever saw any mug reading a "pay paper", and in fact the freebies are just as good these days if not better.

The pay papers must have fingers in all sorts of other pies, like fantasy sport and suchlike.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      All the more amazing when you consider those freeby papers everyone reads on public transport now.

I hardly ever saw any mug reading a "pay paper", and in fact the freebies are just as good these days if not better.

The pay papers must have fingers in all sorts of other pies, like fantasy sport and suchlike.
      The free papers are owned by the same companies. In fact, Metro is owned by the same company as the Mail.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        The free papers are owned by the same companies. In fact, Metro is owned by the same company as the Mail.
        Do the advertisers realise that 99.999% of people take absolutely no notice of them whatsoever?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I find that Metro is good value for money.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Do the advertisers realise that 99.999% of people take absolutely no notice of them whatsoever?
            I think you're wrong.

Mail Order redemption rates on advertising can be quite surprising. You used to hear of 1/100 redemption rates from marketing companies but thats nonsense. (1%)
            If you look at the daily readership The Sun (7772000 readers) 2. The Daily Mail ( 4741000) 3. The Daily Mirror (3087000)* 4. Metro (3287000) then it's the pickup/redemption rate you need on an advert.

When I enquired the cost of a full page was about £40k (http://www.mailconnected.co.uk/uploa...l-Ratecard.pdf). To be able to successfully work out the return on a mail order styl eadvert(as a one off hit) that magic return number is required.

I've been looking at garden benches/garden furniture. Have sold online for many years purchasing from a UK supplier and I'm down to the Canton gift fair in April to look at suppliers.

For me I was considering a half page advert in the Mail.

At a rememption of 1/1000 (99.9%) you're looking at 4500 orders. At an average of £80 per order that gives £360000 sales of a £20k advert. To me that doesn't make sense, otherwise the old thing would be er' full of ads.... Plus that would also be the equivalent of about 10 containers!

At a 1/10000 redemption. (99.99%) then you've got 450 orders, giving £36000 on a £20k advert. Cost of stock £9k. Then yes it's more reasonable.

At your rate of 99.999% (1/100000) it's a bit of a loser and no-one would advertise at all.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I think you're wrong.

Mail Order redemption rates on advertising can be quite surprising. You used to hear of 1/100 redemption rates from marketing companies but thats nonsense. (1%)
              If you look at the daily readership The Sun (7772000 readers) 2. The Daily Mail ( 4741000) 3. The Daily Mirror (3087000)* 4. Metro (3287000) then it's the pickup/redemption rate you need on an advert.

When I enquired the cost of a full page was about £40k (http://www.mailconnected.co.uk/uploa...l-Ratecard.pdf). To be able to successfully work out the return on a mail order styl eadvert(as a one off hit) that magic return number is required.

I've been looking at garden benches/garden furniture. Have sold online for many years purchasing from a UK supplier and I'm down to the Canton gift fair in April to look at suppliers.

For me I was considering a half page advert in the Mail.

At a rememption of 1/1000 (99.9%) you're looking at 4500 orders. At an average of £80 per order that gives £360000 sales of a £20k advert. To me that doesn't make sense, otherwise the old thing would be er' full of ads.... Plus that would also be the equivalent of about 10 containers!

At a 1/10000 redemption. (99.99%) then you've got 450 orders, giving £36000 on a £20k advert. Cost of stock £9k. Then yes it's more reasonable.

At your rate of 99.999% (1/100000) it's a bit of a loser and no-one would advertise at all.
              Are you calling me a cretin?

If so, when are you flouncing?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                I have a friend in the solar business. For every 1000 leaflets he puts out he gets an average of 5 leads and 1.5 sales.

Comment

Working...
                X