• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland - the facts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland - the facts

been a lot of talk in the last few days about how Scotland couldnt survive on its own. I suspected this might be FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt being spread by some shadowy groups) thought it best to check out given its importance though. So lets compare scotland with the worlds fourth richest country NORWAY !

Norway Scotland
    Population
    4.9 million v 5.2 million
    Oil reserves
    16.4 billion barrels v 25 billion barrels
    Farming land
    10000km2 v 78000km2
    Whisky
    0 v £3billion pa
    Tourism
    4.3% gdp v £4.5 Billion pa
    Finance industry
    ? v £20 billion per year

conclusion scotland would be better off than norway

oh and regarding the rbs debt, they were the biggest tax payer in the uk for many years up to the crisis often paying
    £2billion per year in tax. So the bailout cost has largely
    been covered by the money they have already paid in tax. Which you dont hear too much about for some strange reason

So a free scotland it is!

oh and sources -look them up yourself if you dont believe it. It will take you about 5min using google/wikipedia
    Last edited by mrdonuts; 28 January 2012, 19:31.

Fine. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
      So the bailout cost has largely been covered by the money they have already paid in tax. Which you dont hear too much about for some strange reason
      You don't hear much about it because paying tax isn't the same thing as opening a savings account. If it were I would happily take the money I've paid in tax over the years and **** off tomorrow and I suspect quite a lot of other people would too.

BTW the 4.3% of Norway's GDP made up by tourism works out about £12 billion. Their GDP is almost 2x Scotland's. Presumably because they don't have a Whiskey industry.

BTW2 even the Scottish government doesn't claim that all of the land in Scotland is suitable for agricultural uses, the true figure is more like 62,000 km2, about 52,000km2 or which is only suitable for grazing livestock.

BTW3 wikipedia reckons that Norway's proven oil reserves are about twice that of the UK.

Your "facts" are starting to look a bit less factual to me.
      Last edited by doodab; 28 January 2012, 19:45.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

What about fair share of UK debt that Scotland would certainly have to take on in event of becoming independent?

Comment

The proposed UK wide questionnaire..

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You're welcome. Good riddance. At least we won't have to put up with another Labour government ever again once the Scots have seceded. I don't know why the Tories aren't clamouring for an independent Scotland

Comment

been a lot of talk in the last few days about how Scotland couldnt survive on its own. I suspected this might be FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt being spread by some shadowy groups) thought it best to check out given its importance though. So lets compare scotland with the worlds fourth richest country NORWAY !

Norway Scotland
              Population 4.9 million 5.2 million
              Oil reserves 16.4 billion barrels 25 billion barrels
              Farming land 10000km2 78000km2
              Whisky 0 £3billion per year
              Tourism 4.3% gdp £4.5 Billion per year
              Finance industry ? £20 billion per year

oh and regarding the rbs debt, they were the biggest tax payer in the uk for many years up to the crisis often paying £2billion per year in tax. So the bailout cost has largely been covered by the money they have already paid in tax. Which you dont hear too much about for some strange reason

oh and sources -look them up yourself if you dont believe it. It will take you about 5min using google/wikipedia
              From a previous thread:

"A few points on this one:

1. The polls indicate the Scots don't want to breakaway from the UK.
              2. No problem to England if they want to; we'll take the oil from 'the falklands' and Scottish oil will run out shortly (England has the gas).
              3. Defence - who wants to invade a Scotland? It's a nice place to visit and good folk, but very cold and bleak, full of loony lefties and depressives with no decent sport to watch i.e. no football or cricket.

Downside or upside, depending on your point of view, England becomes forever Tory blue if this comes to fruition.

4. Scotland will have join the euro."

Whether Scotland could survive wasn't mentioned in my points. I hope Scotland gets what it wants.
              one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                What about fair share of UK debt that Scotland would certainly have to take on in event of becoming independent?
                According to the OP they've already paid it back, so their "fair share" of the debt will be zero. Despite all those social costs and malingerers.

Comment

Norway Scotland
                  Population
                  4.9 million v 5.2 million
                  Oil reserves
                  16.4 billion barrels v 25 billion barrels
                  Farming land
                  10000km2 v 78000km2
                  Whisky
                  0 v £3billion pa
                  Tourism
                  4.3% gdp v £4.5 Billion pa
                  Finance industry
                  ? v £20 billion per year

oh and regarding the rbs debt, they were the biggest tax payer in the uk for many years up to the crisis often paying
                  £2billion per year in tax. So the bailout cost has largely
                  been covered by the money they have already paid in tax. Which you dont hear too much about for some strange reason

And most importantly how do the GDP figures compare between Scotland and Norway?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    You're welcome. Good riddance. At least we won't have to put up with another Labour government ever again once the Scots have seceded. I don't know why the Tories aren't clamouring for an independent Scotland
                    perhaps they understand that scotland has been the source of much of the uks wealth. The previously posted FACTS would tend to support this

Comment

Working...
                    X