• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Refs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Refs

bad references lose jobs.

If hatchets are out there will bw explanations which dont add up, arrogance, overpay, lack of standards. There will be no explanation for even if work delivered is blindingly good.

People talk about suing for bad references, but has there ever been anyone to have done it?
    Last edited by contractorcontractor; 26 July 2010, 12:38.

Originally posted by contractorcontractor
    I lost at least 2 jobs on bad references.

It seems the hatchets were out. I have had a couple of explanations which dont add up, arrogance, overpay, lack of standards. I have no explanation for it. The work I delivered was blindingly good.

People talk about suing for bad references, but has there ever been anyone to have done it?
    Did you ask the person if you could use them first? If so, I'm thinking that you had a decent enough relationship with them to think about using them. If this is the case then phone them and ask.

If they think you're arrrogant, overpaid, crap etc you'll soon find out. If they don't then someone's feeding you porkies (an agent possibly???)

HTH

Comment

I had a problem when I turned down a contract extension at one client. The reason I turned it down was kept to myself but was because I was in a managerial position but was constantly overridden by the manager above and when things went wrong she blamed me for making bad decisions .

She was never nominated as a reference by me but a couple of recruiters went through the switchboard to find who my ex PM was and she gave an exceptionally bad reference on both occassions. I contacted the clients HR department to make a complaint who have now issued a policy of no references but only confirmation that this person worked as whatever from this day to that day. One of the recruiters passed on the reference to the client that I am now with - they thought no-one could be as bad as that reference and had faith in their own interview techniques.

Comment

I dunno Privateeye BUT if that is the truth then Id seek legal advice!

You may be on to a big winner here cause people just cant say bad things about you these days and there have been cases in the past were bad references ended up in big payouts for the other party.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman

You may be on to a big winner here cause people just cant say bad things about you these days and there have been cases in the past were bad references ended up in big payouts for the other party.

Mailman
          I've moved on to bigger and better things and knowing it will not happen again from this person is fine by me. As there was no damage caused and it did not prevent me getting work there is little to be earnt in compensation. The only person to suffer in the end was the one who gave the bad reference. It was also noted that after I left standards dropped - so I must have been doing something right when I was there.

Comment

See here http://www.businessballs.com/referen...erssamples.htm
            Note the word 'libel'.

Comment

Aye PE

Alas !

It is always regrettable to hear of this kind of bitter attitude and I have to say, that these days in the echelons of management one increasingly encounters this species of obnoxious personality.

However one notes that sooner or later these individuals invariably receive their comeuppance ... as you give shalt you receive.

Its bad Karma Man.

Comment

I lost at least 2 jobs on bad references.

It seems the hatchets were out. I have had a couple of explanations which dont add up, arrogance, overpay, lack of standards. I have no explanation for it. The work I delivered was blindingly good.

cnuts the lot of em

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman

Mailman
                  100% right, Mailman. I was sliced & diced last year by a new director when I was perm. We had a major disagreement on business unit policy, I lost out & had to leave. Fair enough, but the director kept coming after me with all kinds of trumped-up charges, all personal in nature, such that I put in a successful claim for constructive dismissal. It was only at the 11th hour that HR came running to tidy things up and put the director back in his box. I did very well out of that. And the references since? Unremarkable, but not pejorative, and no problem with me getting successive contracts since. HR knew full well that the director had cost them an avoidable CD payment, and that they would need to give neutral references from then on.

If an HR dept doesn’t know to give neutral references these days, they must have a death wish.
                  "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Not as bad as these fcuking wnkers

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Working...
                    X