• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are we heading for a mini ice age?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we heading for a mini ice age?

Gigures suggest that we are:

Link

No. We're still, technically, in the last ice age.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Daily Mail Science

Too much tabloid science there to waste time debunking. You might want to check out the track record of David Rose, the 'journalist' who spewed this drivel before you assign it any credibility.

Here's the source report. Decline in solar output unlikely to offset global warming - Met Office
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Wait for it...........

.....it's cut-and-paste time again

p.s. Damn, he beat me by one minute!

Comment

More bogus graphs coming.

Don't forget to add the missing 273 degrees to the bottom of the vertical axes.

Comment

Anything constructive to add KC? Perhaps you could find an example of a relevant professional scientific body that has not issued a position statement expressing concern about AGW.

Oh -there aren't any are there?

Cue absurd conspiracy theory .......
            Last edited by pjclarke; 29 January 2012, 11:25.

Comment

Well, as you well know, ANY professional scientific body that deviates from the official line soon becomes an amateur scientific body.

With your expertise, answer me one question.
              We all know that the global average temperature has risen since we started burning hydrocarbons en masse, and something needs to be done. What was the temperature before, and what is it now?

Go on, you try and google the numbers that have not been 'censored'. You will find a million graphs and maps showing the 'change', but you will find it very hard to find an 'honest' graph that starts at zero.

They are watching a needle on a gauge with no numbers on it.

Comment

The answer to the OP's question is no...we are not heading for another ice age; not a 'proper' one anyway. Not for many thousands of years.

Many solar experts reckon that the sun is going into a period of 'quietness', and the last time this happened it coincided with 'the little ice age' where people used to skate on the frozen river Thames and hold 'ice fairs' etc.

But this is nothing like the scale of a 'proper' ice age, and most climate scientists reckon that it would be reduced, if not eliminated by the extra CO2 that is in the atmosphere now as compared to then.

Comment

Censored? I genuinely have not got a clue what you are on about.

There are several agencies that compile a global temperature index - NASA, the US NOAA, the Hadley Centre and more recently the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project. They are all in good agreement with each other and since 1979, with satellite data. The NASA index (GISTEMP) is 100% open-source code and data, the Berkeley group have also published all their data points. The Muir Russel enquiry were able to produce their own index in a few days using publically available data. Where is the censorship?

RealClimate: Data Sources

Here's the GISTEMP plot, the greenhouse effect from elevated CO2 starts to have an effect in the early 20th century and becomes the dominant driver in the second half of the century....

Comment

Again...the entire 'span' of that graph is only 1.2 degrees celsius.

Show me a graph which has ZERO in the bottom left corner.

Celsius or Kelvin...you choose.

Comment

Working...
                    X